Question Bought an excellently certified refurbished Asus TUF Gaming F15 and unfortunately having some issues which i am not sure are software or hardware of t

May 17, 2023
Hi all- 2 main issues here:
  1. it doesn't connect to my (most capable) external monitor at 144hz, instead running at 120hz. What's weird is that my internal laptop screen itself is 144hz IPS so not quite sure what to make of this? Is it a software fault or is my laptop actually incapable of projecting 144hz to a capable external monitor of which my previous laptop (with the same hdmi cable im using now) achieved a 144hz refresh rate. I've ordered a Displayport to USB C to see if that rectifies the issues but I am not holding my breath considering my ex-laptop worked fine with a normal HDMI input/output.
  2. Secondly, when the lid is closed (which I used to do to utilise my external monitor at 144hz or in this case 120hz, as a single display rather than having an extended display 1 (internal laptop Screen) and display 2 (the external monitor)), the internal laptop monitor is still being recognised. Could this indicate that the laptop lid sensor is damaged of some sort? or is this just a laptop that will not work for me? I've done the usual power plan/change what closing the lid does but am still struggling to find a fix. I've attached an image, showing that despite my lid closed, when I go into settings, display, advanced display to see if I can change my external monitor to 144hz (and it still only showed up to a max 120hz),the internal laptop screen still is available to amend as a setting/showing as display 1 when in fact, if the laptop screen is closed, it should only show one display which is the external monitor.

Thanks in advance,
I

doesn't connect to my (most capable) external monitor at 144hz, instead running at 120hz. What's weird is that my internal laptop screen itself is 144hz IPS so not quite sure what to make of this? Is it a software fault or is my laptop actually incapable of projecting 144hz to a capable external monitor of which my previous laptop (with the same hdmi cable im using now) achieved a 144hz refresh rate. I've ordered a Displayport to USB C to see if that rectifies the issues but I am not holding my breath considering my ex-laptop worked fine with a normal HDMI input/output
solution to this issue you can find here