[SOLVED] Bought DDR3L by mistake. Can I use it with DDR3?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I'm upgrading an older system. It has 2x4GB DDR3 1600 installed. I inadvertently bought 2x4GB sticks of DDR3L 1600 for the other two slots. Will the DDR3L operate safely running at the same 1.5v that the DDR3 is now running at? I read that DDR3L is dual voltage, but I would like a 2nd opinion.

Solution
Yes can run them. 1.35v ram can be run at 1.5v without issue to the memory controller. Running 1.5v ram on a system requiring 1.35v ram specifically will be an issue. You're the other way around so it's fine.

Mixing two different sets though is another possible issue, not solely because of voltage but because they weren't binned together. Won't know until ya put them in.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes can run them. 1.35v ram can be run at 1.5v without issue to the memory controller. Running 1.5v ram on a system requiring 1.35v ram specifically will be an issue. You're the other way around so it's fine.

Mixing two different sets though is another possible issue, not solely because of voltage but because they weren't binned together. Won't know until ya put them in.

Solution