Bought HDD stuck in raid 0, need help

punkyard

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I bought an Samsung HDD that is 1TB, When i plugged it in it showed up in Disk Management but i cannot format nor initialize it. It shows up as 1,800GB drive.

I tried Disk Part, but drive wont show up in the ''list disk'' command.

Is there anyway i can restore it to its original size and be able to use it?

If you configured it using your motherboard's on-board RAID as part of a RAID-0 array, you need to undo that before you can use the drive normally. The motherboard RAID controller hides the actual drive hardware from the OS. You probably cannot do anything with it because the RAID controller is treating it as a degraded RAID 0 array because you only have one drive.

So go into the motherboard's RAID configuration menu, remove the drive from the RAID 0 array (which should delete the RAID array entirely), save, then reboot. The drive should show up normally.

punkyard

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017

What if the drive was set up using Windows? Asking the seller made it clear that he set the Raid 0 up via windows, not motherboard.

You need two identical drives to make a RAID 0 array, so I don't see why or how the seller could have set it up as RAID 0 with a single drive. But Windows does RAID 0 as a striped I/O dynamic disk. Scroll down this link to the section on "How to convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk." You may have to install Minitools Partition Wizard, which is free and a pretty good program anyway so is worth having around.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.html

punkyard

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
To Everyone who have a HDD stuck in raid 0 etc. I have found a fix.

How to:

Download DBAN, burn it into a bootable USB via Rufus.

Then select the hard drive which is stuck in RAID 0 with enter, change the format method to Quick.

Lastly start the format, ( you do not have to sit through the whole process, wait till it is done up to 5%, then shut down your computer via the power button.)

Lastly you can set up your hard drive in the disk management.

Taadaaaaaa...