[SOLVED] Bought matching third monitor. One has a green tint.

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Dear TomsHardware,

I have a triple monitor workstation consisting of three of the same make and brand of monitor (AOC E2275SWJ).

Recently, one of the monitors developed a fault so I had to buy a new one. I've just set it up on the mount.

I replicated the settings exactly in the OSD menu but for some reason the monitor on the right has a greenish tint. Compare the center (old) and right (new) monitors here, both with the same application open.
TIyrMQ5.jpg

Please note: I am using Redshift (on Ubuntu) for blue light filtering. But I do not recall any obvious discrepancy before.

Could there by any cause for this? I have not had success adjusting the controls manually.

Solution
Could there by any cause for this? I have not had success adjusting the controls manually.
This sometimes happens even with identical monitors, bought at the same time.
Your older one has aged a bit, and identical numbers on thge settings will not result in identical display.

I had a matched pair of HP 22" panels, bought as a set, almost consecutive serial numbers.
Came off the assembly line within a day or two.
Even with a hardware calibrator, I could NOT make them exactly equal.

You'll just have to play with the new one to try to make it match the old one.
Don't worry about the numbers on the OSD, trust your eyeballs.

USAFRet

Titan
This sometimes happens even with identical monitors, bought at the same time.
Your older one has aged a bit, and identical numbers on thge settings will not result in identical display.

I had a matched pair of HP 22" panels, bought as a set, almost consecutive serial numbers.
Came off the assembly line within a day or two.
Even with a hardware calibrator, I could NOT make them exactly equal.

You'll just have to play with the new one to try to make it match the old one.
Don't worry about the numbers on the OSD, trust your eyeballs.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. What's a HW calibrator BTW?
A small device that you put on the screen, and it actually reads the colors it presents. Adjusts accordingly.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-SpyderX-Pro-Calibration-Photographers/dp/B07M6KPJ9K
https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spyder5PRO-Designed-Photographers-Designers/dp/B00UBSL31Q

I had one of these:

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017

Ah, sorry, I Googled just after I asked you that. That looks good.

I'm finding even the minor difference very distracting to be honest.

I spend a lot of time at this workstation and I guess the exact shades just become the visual equivalent of muscle memory.

Right now, I'm not even using the third screen as it's just too distracting.

Hopefully after a few days I will have gotten used to it!