[SOLVED] Bought my dream rig, need some advice on how to use it :)

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
After having to play games on a laptop for 8 years cuz I was constantly traveling around Europe, I've finally settled down and bought a gaming PC. Some of the more serious gamers may laugh at me, but all I ever wanted was to play games on 1080p, 60fps and high settings. I don't need all that 4k, 220fps, ultra settings stuff. So here's what I bought:

CPU - i5 9400F
GPU - GTX 1660 6GB
RAM - 8GB (I know, 16GB would be better, but the most demanding game I want to play needs like 7GB of RAM, so I think I'm good for now)
PSU - 600W
SSD 256GB
HDD 2T

It works like a charm and I can finally play without having to worry about overheating. But, since I want to know as much as possible about my rig, here are some questions:

1. Is 600W enough to power my machine?
  2. Can I / should I try to overclock my CPU and GPU? The guy in the PC store told me that I won't get much out of overclocking this CPU and GPU, besides it seems to handle demanding games quite well just as it is.
  3. If I don't overclock, can I / should I try to undervolt my CPU and GPU?
  4. The description of the i5 9400F says that it can go from 2.9GHz to 4.1 GHZ. I tried playing Genshin Impact and it was around 3.9 GHz. Does this already count as overclocking (I wasn't using any OC software, just monitoring) or would overclocking mean to go above 4.1 GHz? (this may be a noob question, but since I always had a laptop I don't know much about OC, just about undervolting to keep the temp low, haha...)
  5. With this rig, do I even need to think about OC if all I want is to play on 1080p and not on 4k?
  6. What would be the maximum safe temperature for the CPU and the GPU? I'd say that it's around 75'C for both, but I'm not sure.
  7. The room where I keep my PC can gets rather cold during the night. Can low temperatures damage the PC, and if yes, how low would the temperature have to be to cause some condensation or damage?

That's all I think. Also if you have any extra tips, I'd be grateful. I've been gaming for 25 years now, but this is my 1st PC and I want to know how to take care of it :)

Solution
After having to play games on a laptop for 8 years cuz I was constantly traveling around Europe, I've finally settled down and bought a gaming PC. Some of the more serious gamers may laugh at me, but all I ever wanted was to play games on 1080p, 60fps and high settings. I don't need all that 4k, 220fps, ultra settings stuff. So here's what I bought:

CPU - i5 9400F
GPU - GTX 1660 6GB
RAM - 8GB (I know, 16GB would be better, but the most demanding game I want to play needs like 7GB of RAM, so I think I'm good for now)
PSU - 600W
SSD 256GB
HDD 2T

It works like a charm and I can finally play without having to worry about overheating. But, since I want to know as much as possible about my rig, here are some questions:

1. Is 600W...

CPU - i5 9400F
GPU - GTX 1660 6GB
PSU - 600W
SSD 256GB
HDD 2T

1. Is 600W enough to power my machine?
  2. Can I / should I try to overclock my CPU and GPU? The guy in the PC store told me that I won't get much out of overclocking this CPU and GPU, besides it seems to handle demanding games quite well just as it is.
  3. If I don't overclock, can I / should I try to undervolt my CPU and GPU?
  4. The description of the i5 9400F says that it can go from 2.9GHz to 4.1 GHZ. I tried playing Genshin Impact and it was around 3.9 GHz. Does this already count as overclocking (I wasn't using any OC software, just monitoring) or would overclocking mean to go above 4.1 GHz? (this may be a noob question, but since I always had a laptop I don't know much about OC, just about undervolting to keep the temp low, haha...)
  5. With this rig, do I even need to think about OC if all I want is to play on 1080p and not on 4k?
  6. What would be the maximum safe temperature for the CPU and the GPU? I'd say that it's around 75'C for both, but I'm not sure.
  7. The room where I keep my PC can gets rather cold during the night. Can low temperatures damage the PC, and if yes, how low would the temperature have to be to cause some condensation or damage?
That's all I think. Also if you have any extra tips, I'd be grateful. I've been gaming for 25 years now, but this is my 1st PC and I want to know how to take care of it :)
1.IF your machine is working,then 600W is fine.If u want to upgrade,then come back here and post a thread about what u wanna upgrade,and the people will tell u what to do.
2.You cant overclock your CPU since its locked (features for overclocking are disabled and cant be enabled,only intel procesor with 'K' at the end of their name can be overclocked,example:9900K,10900K).For GPU overclocking use MSI AFTERBURNER (bassically everything u need to know is here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkwCPGmVszI&t=87s
)
3.Why would you want to undervolt your CPU and GPU?If its working fine without any problems and thermal throttling then there is no need to undervolt.
4.9400F has something called turbo frequency.Its not same as overclocking ,it bassically jumps your cpus frequency to its max (in ur case 3.9GHz,since for 9400F you cant bring all cores to 4.1GHz ) and bumps it down when your are not forcing it too much (in ur case thats 2.9GHz).Again,its not same as overclocking.
5.Thats your choice,if u fell like you need more power,then overclock your GPU,since thats the only thing u can overclock in ur system (maybe ram).
6.CPU and GPU temps is kinda of a personal preference but i wouldnt want my cpu to reach 80-85C while gaming.Same for the GPU.
7.Cold temperatures in ur room cant damage ur pc,infact they help to cool them down.
I hope i answered all ur questions,fell free to ask more.

Reactions: rbogomolec
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Make and model is IMPORTANT. 'xxx'W psu holds very little meaning.

2)PC guy was right about a 9400F; it's a locked cpu. K SKU + Z motherboard is necessary, as well as a strong aftermarket cooler.
Gpu really depends on the quality of the psu, which is unknown.

3)Unless they're running rather hot:
Cpu: 85C+
Gpu: ~83C+
There's little to be gained from doing so. Plus, undervolting too much will hurt clocks.

4)Turbo Boost depending on cpu thread load: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9400#Frequencies

5)Overclocking should be treated as a hobby and not a feature. If you're just looking to set it and forget it, pay it no mind.
Too often people do the latter, and at some point things go south, and they're stuck on what to do afterwards.

6)I already kind of posted it above, but it kind of varies a little bit.
Intel cpu: 85C and below
AMD Ryzen: Also 85C and below, but 80C appears to be point where they stop trying to push higher frequencies on their own.
Gpu varies some depending on the make and model. They seem to share the same range as the cpus, but the latest models have much lower shutoff limits.

7)No, low temperatures cannot damage the PC, but dew buildup can.
If it gets to the point where moisture can build up in the PC, you need to do something about that, ASAP. That's what air conditioners/humidifiers exist for.

-- snip ---

PSU - 600W

- snip -

The part I bolded answers it all already for you. It's working, you say you don't worry about overheating, you are done. The best way to break something is to start messing with something that is working normally. Seems you must have read about the parts to get, you put it together and it's running without crashing, leave it be, nothing you asked about is an issue or something you need to worry about unless your temps are too high or you have a low quality power supply. Low temperatures are actually best for computers, why do you think everyone wants to keep temps low and high end overclockers use crazy cooling methods like liquid nitrogen.

Reactions: rbogomolec