Bought new graphics card and power supply. Need Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

+1.
The 5450 do not have any PCIe Power connector so you do not need to replace the PSU at all.
1. Just install the new card to the PCIe slot.
2. Connect the monitor to the new card.
3. Enter the BIOS & select the discrete ( in BIOS it usually appear as PCIe ) card as primary display.
4. Install the driver ( found in the disc that comes with the box).

But I have to say that the 5450 is a bad choice for an upgrade. It is not much better than onboard graphics. Can you still return it or get it replaced with better video card?
To determine the best video card for you, tell us your monitor resolution and how much is...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Adding both is very easy. First, disconnect all devices and cables from your powered down PC. Open the case. Disconnect all power supply connections (mobo, devices, etc). Remove the screws (as many as 4) from the back of the case that holds the PSU in place. Now, carefully extract the PSU from the case.

Reverse the order for adding the new PSU. Tidy up your cables afterward (tuck out of way and try to keep airflow unblocked.

Next add the new GPU into a PCI-E slot. Lock/screw into place. Reconnect everything and fire up the new config.

Pretty straight-forward and little to worry about.

Good luck!

bg17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Ha, thanks but I guess I should have posted something, since I put both in shortly after making this thread. I was more so worried of screwing something up than actually have a lack of know-how. But, would there be any tweaks I could implement? You know, to get the most out of the card? Or would the defaults it has now be good?

randomkid

Distinguished

+1.
The 5450 do not have any PCIe Power connector so you do not need to replace the PSU at all.
1. Just install the new card to the PCIe slot.
2. Connect the monitor to the new card.
3. Enter the BIOS & select the discrete ( in BIOS it usually appear as PCIe ) card as primary display.
4. Install the driver ( found in the disc that comes with the box).

But I have to say that the 5450 is a bad choice for an upgrade. It is not much better than onboard graphics. Can you still return it or get it replaced with better video card?
To determine the best video card for you, tell us your monitor resolution and how much is your budget for video card.

Solution

bg17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
You think I should get something better?

It's been 10 days since I purchased it, I still have 20 days to return it for a full refund. I'm willing to spend about $150 on a card, but that's about as high as I'll go.

Will getting something better give my pc any overall boost in performance?

Also, any recommendations on a better card?

Btw, I do -some- gaming, nothing too serious(because I never had any good graphics, lol). HD movies and what not is what I'm more so wanting.

bg17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

start with the 5750. You might even consider a 5770
The 5770, good for gaming?
If I end up having a good card I'd probably venture into pc gaming a bit more.

bg17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

To determine the best video card for you, tell us your monitor resolution and how much is your budget for video card
My budget is $150 and my resolution I believe has always been set at 1440 x 900.

bg17

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

I think I'm gonna go with that suggestion. Have to wait 'til next week though =/

Status
Not open for further replies.