I was psyched to get this LG 5K2K monitor, but neither of my powerful W10 gaming laptops seem to be able to display at its max 5,120 x 2,160 resolution. The highest I see in the Display window resolution dropdown is 4K (3,840 x 2,180). The two laptops are plenty powerful:
- MSI Intel i7-8750H (6 cores), 32GB; Graphics card: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8G Max-Q
- Lenovo P17 i9-10885H, 64GB; Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 with Max-Q 8GB
- How can I tell whether the above cards (in those machines) are supposed to be able to display 5,120 x 2,160 resolution? (This page about the Quadro RTX 4000 says it can def do 5K...)
- I'm confused about that Quadro RTX page because it shows the card with 3 x DisplayPort ports...but my Lenovo laptop that ostensibly has that card doesn't have any DP port(?) Do they make it in different configurations?
- Am I correct that I should be using the monitor's TB3 port (image attached below) to my laptop's TB3 port? I read something saying that I needed to use the monitor's DisplayPort port to get 5K, except neither laptop has native DP ports...would a DP to TB3 cable do the trick?
- re: the GeFORCE card in the MSI laptop, what's weird is that it had no problem displaying the native 5,120 x 2,880 resolution on the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor, which I tested out before getting this 34" Ultrawide 5K2K...is it possible that it can do full 5K, but not the ultrawide 5K2K?