Question Bought new LG 5K2K monitor but native 5,120 x 2,160 resolution not available. Graphics card the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markzer0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
I was psyched to get this LG 5K2K monitor, but neither of my powerful W10 gaming laptops seem to be able to display at its max 5,120 x 2,160 resolution. The highest I see in the Display window resolution dropdown is 4K (3,840 x 2,180). The two laptops are plenty powerful:

1. MSI Intel i7-8750H (6 cores), 32GB; Graphics card: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8G Max-Q
  2. Lenovo P17 i9-10885H, 64GB; Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 with Max-Q 8GB

In both cases, I used the supplied TB3 cable directly from the monitor's TB3 port to my laptop's native TB3 port (which I thought was the proper setup for getting max resolution, but only saw 4K max available in dropdown. Tried HDMI ports too, same result. )

Questions:
  1. How can I tell whether the above cards (in those machines) are supposed to be able to display 5,120 x 2,160 resolution? (This page about the Quadro RTX 4000 says it can def do 5K...)
  2. I'm confused about that Quadro RTX page because it shows the card with 3 x DisplayPort ports...but my Lenovo laptop that ostensibly has that card doesn't have any DP port(?) Do they make it in different configurations?
  3. Am I correct that I should be using the monitor's TB3 port (image attached below) to my laptop's TB3 port? I read something saying that I needed to use the monitor's DisplayPort port to get 5K, except neither laptop has native DP ports...would a DP to TB3 cable do the trick?
  4. re: the GeFORCE card in the MSI laptop, what's weird is that it had no problem displaying the native 5,120 x 2,880 resolution on the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor, which I tested out before getting this 34" Ultrawide 5K2K...is it possible that it can do full 5K, but not the ultrawide 5K2K?
RFkYt7m.jpg

markzer0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
I'm trying to troubleshoot not being able to get the native 5,120 x 2,160 resolution on the new LG 5K2K monitor I bought...graphics card documentation for each of the two W10 laptops I've tried (1 - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8G Max-Q // 2 - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 with Max-Q 8GB) says they're more than sufficient to drive it. The ports on the monitor are shown in the image below. Using the monitor's supplied TB3 cable from the TB3 port to my laptop's native TB3 port, I only see 4K as the max available resolution. Something I read online suggested I needed to use DP in order to get 5K2K...except that my laptops don't have native DP ports. Q's:

1. Is it indeed correct that I need to use the monitor's DP port to get full 5K2K resolution?
  2. If the answer is 'yes', I found this DP to USB-C/TB3 cable...would that do the trick? Or does it need to be an unadulterated connection from one native DP port to another using a DP cable?
  3. Do they make different configurations of graphics cards? I'm confused b/c this product page for the Quadro RTX 4000 that's ostensibly in one of my laptops shows 3 DP ports...but my laptop doesn't have any (only 2 x TB3 ports + 1 x HDMI)
RFkYt7m.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Can you share the model for your MSI laptop?

the GeFORCE card in the MSI laptop, what's weird is that it had no problem displaying the native 5,120 x 2,880 resolution on the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor, which I tested out before getting this 34" Ultrawide 5K2K...is it possible that it can do full 5K, but not the ultrawide 5K2K?
You might want to first check and see that both laptops are on the latest BIOS version. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. Then download the latest drivers for your GPU(from Nvidia's support site) and the latest Thrunderbolt driver alongside all chipset drivers from your notebook's support or from Intel's support site. Reinstall all chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then manually install your latest GPU in the same elevated command mentioned above.

markzer0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Can you share the model for your MSI laptop?
It's this model: MSI GS75 Stealth-093 17.3" Razor Thin Bezel Gaming Laptop NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8G Max-Q, 144Hz 3ms, Intel i7-8750H (6 cores), 32GB, 512GB NVMe SSD, TB3

the GeFORCE card in the MSI laptop, what's weird is that it had no problem displaying the native 5,120 x 2,880 resolution on the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor, which I tested out before getting this 34" Ultrawide 5K2K...is it possible that it can do full 5K, but not the ultrawide 5K2K?
You might want to first check and see that both laptops are on the latest BIOS version. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. Then download the latest drivers for your GPU(from Nvidia's support site) and the latest Thrunderbolt driver alongside all chipset drivers from your notebook's support or from Intel's support site. Reinstall all chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then manually install your latest GPU in the same elevated command mentioned above.

My System>About window says:
Version: 2004
OS build: 19041.985
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
EDIT: I found another window in the System Information panel that says Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

I've had the "Feature update to W10 version 21H1" update pending for a while now; haven't done it yet.

Is it possible to somehow first definitively ascertain that these two machines + graphics cards are capable of displaying the native 5K2K resolution before those updates? Given that a lot of those update and installation things I haven't attempted before, I'd like to know that I'm not being limited by some threshold thing that is going to render the whole thing moot.

(And, as it looks like the forum merged my DisplayPort questions into this thread: am I misunderstanding something about TB3 vs DP? Should either of those ports be able to drive 5K2K in theory?)

Status
Not open for further replies.