Bought new motherboard and old graphics card but no display

Shiladong

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
So I recently bought a new mother board (MSI 970 Gaming) and a buddy of mine gave me a Radeon HD 6950 graphics card to use. I plugged everything in and using a HMDI from graphics card to monitor, the monitor does not detect any connections. I even went from DVI to HMDI and still doesn't work. What should I do? Thanks in advance guys.

Anencephalus

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Don't listen to these people yet. To come to the conclusion the GPU is faulty without knowing anything about your problem or specs is idiotic.

Is your motherboard compatible with all your other parts? Check this by going to: http://pcpartpicker.com/
It will tell you if you have any incompatibilities.

Does the computer turn on? If so does everything seem to be working properly; fans, lights, etc

Try your on-board graphics and see if anything comes up. If not then it's probably not your graphics card.
If you can get into your machine please respond so we can help you troubleshoot.

if the card seems to turn on and all seems fine but just no display hdmi to hdmi is flakily and can be a issue [I got a box with some nice but useless hdmi cables in it ] one thing I would ask is what is your monitor ??? and the cored from the monitor I assume is hdmi to the card???

Shiladong

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I do not have onboard graphics on this mb. I can't even access the bios.

When I turn the system on il everything inside is running, including fans, cpu fan, gpu fan, onboard lights are on.

I've tried resetting CMOs, dvi, HMDI, USB dvi, replugging everything, both pcie slots resetting bios. Even tried using another gpu.

Thanks for your input!

MSI 970 gaming
Radeon 6950
Fx4350
Antec 550w psu

Only other thing I can think of is possibly no ram

the only things I can think of you don't need just to display in to the bios is the drives and add on cards like sound or something -- but system memory- cpu-and some means of gpu and power and monitor mounted correctly in a case [ I feel all stand offs should be fastened in case one is ground for something ]