Question Bought new RAM, it loads but slows down my PC

Jun 6, 2019
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I wish it would bring me solution to my problem.I've bought 8gb RAM from HEORIADY(stated in the manual, that the memory was produced by micron and they rebranded it).I have 8gb RAM(4+4) on my current laptop, but due to my needs I've decided to upgrade it to 12gb with tendency for 16gb(thats my max).When I installed the ram on my laptop, the OS boot time increased significantly(usually boots around 45s-1min, with the new memory it takes 20 min).When the OS finally loads and I enter the Desktop, it's very slow.I've seen that the windows recognizes the new memory and it runs the 12gb, but the CPU runs at 100% percent.

Overall the OS boot-up time is very big/slow and the CPU runs at 100% which makes the laptop practically unusable.I've tried different combinations with the existing memory sticks including mixing them with the slots but the result is identical.Now I have returned to my original RAM 4+4 ram sticks, but I can't figure why the CPU runs at 100% eventough the ram is okay.

Thank you for your attention and I hope we'll find a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2019
It May be beacouse the CPU does not support 16gb of ram or the last stick is slower than the first two
Give me the name of the laptop and ram so I can search and see what I can do

I've tried crucial tool and it suggested that my motherboard and laptop support up to 16gb of ram.Nevertheless, my CPU is Intel i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz. My ram sticks are 1600Mhz (so is the new one).

*Note: I am combining 1 8gb ram stick with 1 4gb ram stick as my laptop has 2 slots.

"*Note: I am combining 1 8gb ram stick with 1 4gb ram stick as my laptop has 2 slots."
Mixed ram kits can cause issues, such as lower bandwidth caused by single channel ram. I would return the new ram and buy another identical stick to the 8gb stick already in the laptop.

Jun 6, 2019
"*Note: I am combining 1 8gb ram stick with 1 4gb ram stick as my laptop has 2 slots."
Mixed ram kits can cause issues, such as lower bandwidth caused by single channel ram. I would return the new ram and buy another identical stick to the 8gb stick already in the laptop.

actually the laptop has 2x4gb ram sticks, not 1X8gb ram stick.

Jun 6, 2019
You get less performance in single channel. Your bandwidth is cut in half. 12gb can never be dual channel, as there is no such thing as a 6gb stick of ram. Also mismatched ram can cause its own set of instability issues. You have to have matched pairs for dual channel to work. So either go back to 2x4gb, or get another matching 8gb stick.

You say matching 8gb ram stick.Do you mean another 8gb stick or from the same manufacturer or the same release/production/version of that ram stick?

TRENDING THREADS