Bought new ram sticks and now my pc cant boot

okockis99

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
So recently i bought another set of 4x2 corsair ram, it was the same speed and the same manufacturer as my old ram, but when i put all 4 in at the same time, my pc just starts and is running without my keyboard or monitor powering up

I have tried every ram piece by piece and in every slot, and everytime it worked but when i put 4 at the same time pc wont start.

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

The only thing I can suggest would be to try increasing the ram voltage in the bios.
Use one stick to get into the bios to increase the ram voltage.
Then try all the sticks.

Corsair has a good support forum, perhaps they can offer you something.

If no joy, return/sell...

okockis99

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017

I tried with the new ones and it worked , but when i tried two diffeent rams in one channel pc only detected 1 stick

What are the exact model numbers of each memory module? Are they two sets of 2, or are there more than two part numbers involved?

Have you tried ONLY the two new modules, together, in the correct slots for dual channel operation?

Chances are good that regardless of them being from the same manufacturer, which matters not at all, not even a little, in terms of memory modules not purchased together actually working together. If they weren't tested together at the factory, and purchased that way, there is every probability that they will not run together in the same machine. And also every chance they might. In this case, it seem maybe they won't.

Make sure they are both in the correct channel when testing them together with the other modules. Knowing the exact speed, timings and voltage based on the model numbers of each module would be the only way anybody could even try to help get them running but honestly, it might even be just the fact that you're trying to run four modules at all. A lot platforms simply will not do it, at least not without a great deal of fiddling around AND often they will not support quad modules at anything higher than the default JEDEC SPD of 1333mhz for DDR3 and 2133mhz for DDR4.

You can try, with only one module installed, upping the DRAM voltage by .005-.020v to see if that might help. Install only one module, change the DRAM voltage, save bios settings, shut down, install all modules, try to boot.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

The only thing I can suggest would be to try increasing the ram voltage in the bios.
Use one stick to get into the bios to increase the ram voltage.
Then try all the sticks.

Corsair has a good support forum, perhaps they can offer you something.

If no joy, return/sell all the ram and buy a matched 2 x 8gb kit.

Solution
Memory is not EVER guaranteed, at all, except to the extent that they guarantee the memory ITSELF not to be faulty.

There are NO guarantees, ever, that it will work in any particular motherboard or platform or at an advertised speed, timing or voltage. Especially when you go beyond two modules. No manufacturer ever will tell you that you can use these four modules in a specific configuration and it will work AS IS.

Even quad channel kits used in quad channel boards can be problematic. Quad modules on standard boards that don't support triple or quad channel operation are even more likely to not like the use of four DIMMS without some kind of adjustment. That might be an overclock to bolster the memory controller, increased DRAM voltage, lowered speed or a change of timings. It could require changes to the VCCIO or system agent voltage.

Some systems, especially some of the older AM3+ configurations, would simply NOT run four modules, no matter what, at 1866mhz. Sometimes not even at 1600mhz. Four modules puts a lot more stress on the memory controller and dedicated portions of the VRMs that handle memory, and while a higher end motherboard often means less probability of these problems, it is still never a guarantee of success.

I'd like to say it usually isn't a problem, but I see it BE a problem so often, than I cannot do that.