Bought New Storage and how to transfer my windows files/all files to new storage

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
I recently bought and samsung 970 evo nvme m.2 and im planning to install it now and how do i transfer my windows files from old ssd to the new 970 evo?

I appreciate your help guys please help me out. Thank you!

Solution

ok i know you already said you tested the ram but i have run into a lot of ram issues on many PC's with it not being installed right with these exact symptoms

USAFRet

Titan

What OS is this?
What is the size of the new drive?
How much space is consumed on the old drive?

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Windows 10 home
old size is 256 ssd pny
the new one is 500gb samsung 970evo nvme m.2

after the install you can connect the 250GB SSD as a secondary drive and copy any important files over to the new SSD. note you will not be able to copy your programs over this way. all your programs will have to be reinstalled.

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Im really planning to reinstall other programs, i got one problem again can you help me out to figure where can i insert the m.2 samsung 970 evo in my motherboard. My mobo is Asus z170A

it can be anywhere on the motherboard so it would be best to check the manual.

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Asus Z170 A.

btw i already installed it.

USAFRet

Titan
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
-----------------------------

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Alright before this, i just installed the samsung 970 evo nvme m.2 ssd and the new samsung ssd 860 evo. and my 4 corsair 8gb ram. and now when i turn on my computer it dont show anything at all. but the CPU fan is working and the gpu fan. other fans are not working at all. and literally no display at all also.

and something in the motherboard lights up its a color yellow.

What to do now?

USAFRet

Titan

Then you have other issues.
Start here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

did all 4 ram sticks come in the same kit or are you mixing and matching ram?

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

Its all the same RAM, and now i removed everything that i put on and i used the same old same way and still dont show up any display at all.

is this the ram you always had or is it replacing some old ram?

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

its the same ram that i always had. so basically i removed everything that i bought and replace to the old ones but still same thing happen no display at all.

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

only the fans and gpu is working

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

I didnt even touch other cables

ok i know you already said you tested the ram but i have run into a lot of ram issues on many PC's with it not being installed right with these exact symptoms

Solution