Question Bought old system, constant crashes. Help

Nov 30, 2020
Hello,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post. I am new to PC gaming and bought an old cheap gaming system to play wow on. I just wanted it for some 1080p WoW action. So I had about a day of it working fine then I did a molten core raid on classic wow and there was a lot of frame rate dropping and I didn't know why. I tried to update graphics drivers and it crashed as I was doing so.
then since then the computer just randomly freezes the screen whilst I play. The screen doesn't go black or anything, Just completely freezes the screen.

I used MSI afterburner to check temps of the cores and they run at up to 78 degrees Celsius in classic wow, 2 degrees Celsius away from TJ max. I thought that was why the computer was crashing, because it was getting too hot. Then I tried retail wow, did a dungeon and it froze again but this time at 60 degrees 20 degrees away from TJ max.

I am a gaming PC newb so not sure what is going on, any help would be deeply appreciated!

System Configuration
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+
  • CPU: AMD FX 8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor
  • PSU: Corsair VS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power
  • System Memory: 8GB Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2*4 GB) DD3 - 1600 CL9 Memory
  • GPU : MSI Radeon r9 390x 8gb gaming
  • Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2
  • Applications: WoW Classic, WoW Retail
  • Background Apps: Discord, Chrome
  • Display: Old Samsung TV 720p (Monitor is at friends house from old university, will be getting shortly)
  • Case: Cosair SPEC-01 ATX Mid Tower Case
  • 4x Case fans

Thanks!!

USAFRet

Titan
Used system, new to you.

Did you personally do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and everything else?

If not, that needs to be your starting place.

Reactions: norcalsc
Nov 30, 2020
Hello.

thanks for your reply. No I didnt do an OS reinstall etc. I will try it now. I capped frame rates on the game and rolled back the drivers on the gpu and the computer went a long time without freezing. Now its just gone 4 back to back freezes. I tried to access the bios today and the computer freezes with a black screen.