Bought PC, now need to get DRIVERS...?

notguru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I have chosen and ordered the bundle barebone kit, and I will build it as soon as all the parts get here.
But I was just wondering if I needed to download drivers for specific PC parts. Here they are:

Intel DG35EC Motherboard (micro-ATX form-factor)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Processor BX80571E7400
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive
OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2
XFX 8800 GT Alpha-Dog Edition
DiabloTek PHD650 650-Watt Power Supply
NZXT Zero 2 Craft Series Full Tower Case

So do I need to get drivers for these?
(Obviously not for the case, but for the RAM, mobo, HDD, GPU, PSU, or CPU?)

You didn't mention what OS you will use . . . I presume you did buy one?

If Windows, the OS will install enough to get you going. The motherboard comes with a set of drivers you will install. The vid card will work without any new drivers - leave it that way until all the OS and mobo drivers are installed.

If all has gone well, you only need to now visit nvidia's site and download the latest driver package for your vid card. You can choose to have nVidia scan your system and select the latest driver for download. Don't bother with the the drivers that come on the vid card's disc.

If all has not gone well, you may then visit the motherboard's site to download the latest drivers - but don't do that unless you have a reason to.

notguru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

I'm getting Windows Vista Home Basic x32. So I presume the OS will take care of all the driver work, but why wouldn't I use the GPU disc? Is it better to let the NVIDIA site find a driver?

notguru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
1) install your motherboards chipset drivers from cd (lan, sound, etc) Usually there will be a utility on the cd you can install that checks for the latest update drivers, get those too if needed.
2) install your antivirus and get all updates.
3 install your video drivers (from the manuf. website)
4) install your windows updates

You dont need drivers for ram, hdd, psu, or cpu.

Is there a specific driver for the XFX 8800GT "Alpha-Dog Edition"?

tecmo34

Administrator
At the time of this email, this is the latest driver for the video card & Vista 32-bit.... GeForce/ION Driver Release 186 WHQL

Nvidia updates their drives about once a month unless something new comes before their monthly update. You can download this driver now and use it to install your GPU drivers if you know you'll be up and running by end of next week. There shouldn't be a new driver out until mid July....