[SOLVED] Bought RTX 3080 Rog strix white now regret

mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hello guys, I just went to microcenter and got a Rog strix 3080 white edition I wanted so bad. Now that the 3080 TI is out I see its basically a 3090 performance for games and the ram wont matter for me... The 3080 is 1200... the EVGA FTW 3080ti is 1400... I literally can spend 200 more for a 3090 performance.

I know the GPU market right now is terrible I tried to get a Ryzen 9 and RTX 3080 or 3090 for 8 months and mostly gave up. I went to microcenter for fun and they actually sell many cards there separately if you "build" a custom pc with them and price match newegg. So I could literally get all my parts at the best price, have them build it for me for $250 and get the card that I absolutely could never get my hands on because people line up before the store opens EVERY day.

So long story short... how easily can I sell this and how safe? I really want to put a 3080 ti FTW EVGA in my build instead of this 3080 rog strix. Any recommendations?

Solution
I wouldn't do it. You may return your existing card, only to find out that you can't get the 3080 Ti anymore because they are already sold out. Once the retailer you returned the card to puts it back into stock, it will sell almost immediately, so you won't even be able to buy it back. You'll have no video card at all, then.

mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Take it back there?

Selling it privately is an option, but does mean the extra work.

Gaming difference between the 3080 and 3080Ti isn't huge. MSRP 3080 is really much cheaper.

I paid 1200 for the Asus rog strix which is very much overpriced compared to the EVGA FTW right now due to EVGA being an american company. Which is why i'd rather pay the extra cost and get the 3080 ti, i'll try to do a private sale on craigs/ebay just never actually sell anything and its a lot of money.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Paypal will cost you something in fees, but you are also competing in a heavy market with tons of scalper listings.

My advice would be personal, time stamped (write a physical note), pictures of the product, receipt with any identifying information redacted to prove you aren't selling an empty box or something.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
You do realize it's a 6/8% uplift from your current card? A 3080 does enough fps anyways. Doing 150 fps and doing 160 fps changes nothing really. Be happy with your 3080 as it's one of the best models.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I wouldn't do it. You may return your existing card, only to find out that you can't get the 3080 Ti anymore because they are already sold out. Once the retailer you returned the card to puts it back into stock, it will sell almost immediately, so you won't even be able to buy it back. You'll have no video card at all, then.

Solution

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I really wanted the 3080 TI and managed to snag one in Newegg's first 3080 TI shuffle (all card-only at MSRP).

As others have noted, you really need to get a card before you sell/return your existing 3080.

A lot of people are talking about it's not a justifiable increase in cost, but unless you're using your PC professionally to provide income, the ROI is always $0 no matter what you spend. The ONLY return for what you spend is your enjoyment.

I could have made a 50%+ profit on my 'investment' if dollars was my objective....my enjoyment of getting what I wanted was the only return desired.