[SOLVED] Bought the F model of the Intel I7 9700 cpu instead of the K, is it a bug enough difference to return and swap?

Apr 8, 2020
I am building a pc, it's my first time doing it all alone so it's been hard but as of yesterday I am able to not only boot but game pretty well on it, I'm just waiting on the replacement gpu

Specs
Intel I7 9700f cpu
GTX 560ti (replacement will be Gigabyte GTX 1060 6g)
2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance rgb 3200mhz ram
Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb ssd
Intel stock heatsink for cpu (I have a Corsair iCue H100i AIO radiator installed in the pc, it's just not turn on and in use because I had to replace the motherboard with a much nicer one since it wasnt functional and I'm a fanboy for infinity mirrors)
MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard
Fractal Design Ion+ 860p (860w)
All inside a Corsair Spec Delta Rgb Mid Tower case

Solution
F- no OC for you :(
KF- overclockable...

(On the positive side, if you must keep it and cannot return it. the non-overclocked 9700F, with slightly lower turbo of 4.7 GHz, will more than max out a GTX1060 (6 GB) card) at it's 4.3 GHz all core clock speeds)
Apr 8, 2020
(I may have accidentally posted this already incomplete sorry about that)
I am building a pc, it's my first time doing it all alone so it's been hard but as of yesterday I am able to not only boot but game pretty well on it, I'm just waiting on the replacement gpu

Specs
Intel I7 9700f cpu
GTX 560ti (replacement will be Gigabyte GTX 1060 6g)
2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance rgb 3200mhz ram
Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb ssd
Intel stock heatsink for cpu (I have a Corsair iCue H100i AIO radiator installed in the pc, it's just not turn on and in use because I had to replace the motherboard with a much nicer one since it wasnt functional and I'm a fanboy for infinity mirrors)
MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard
Fractal Design Ion+ 860p (860w)
All inside a Corsair Spec Delta Rgb Mid Tower case

Now when we bought the cpu I had in mind getting the I7-9700k, but it was my partner who ordered it. They ordered the 9700f instead. Now I know they have the exact same name pretty much and the 9700f just doesnt have integrated graphics and is locked. I'm wondering if for the power hungry build I have going that I plan on keeping for a while, will the couple week wait and extra 100 dollars really be much of a benefit. The motherboard has an overclock dial so overclocking is super easy and I could crank this thing up to even 5 ghz or more, but I'm not going to until my AIO is installed. I really am just tired of waiting for parts, will this part be worth to upgrade now or is the difference gonna be minute enough that this cpu will be good until I replace in in the years to come. I just need some other opinions on the matter and what you guys would do. Thank you

I believe he bought the locked I7 9700f not the unlocked 9700kf.

With any current GPU you will not notice the difference from the 9700k.

However, if you as using the stock cooler, dont. You will be forcing the CPU to downclock in order to avoid overheating.

Apr 8, 2020
I'm not using the gtx 560ti when the other delivers, and the 1060 is a temp till I can buy a 2080 super. My motherboard has a game boost dial so I'm hoping it works like oc.

Apr 8, 2020
I believe he bought the locked I7 9700f not the unlocked 9700kf.

With any current GPU you will not notice the difference from the 9700k.

However, if you as using the stock cooler, dont. You will be forcing the CPU to downclock in order to avoid overheating.

I havent overclocked it yet, I'm waiting on my liquid cooling mount for the chip. So it's been just running base 3.0ghz until then

F- no OC for you :(
KF- overclockable...

(On the positive side, if you must keep it and cannot return it. the non-overclocked 9700F, with slightly lower turbo of 4.7 GHz, will more than max out a GTX1060 (6 GB) card) at it's 4.3 GHz all core clock speeds)

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS