[SOLVED] Bought used GPU keeps crashing under load

rayanedjerouni33

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Recently I have purchased a used gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 990 Ti from cex in hopes of upgrading from the r9 390x I sold to the same place. The experience at first was okay until glitcht artifacts would occasionally flicker across the screen every 5 or so seconds, this was lost annoying in vr where occasionally textures would become a little wobbly for split seconds.

This problem was kinda fixed by narrowing it down to it being loose from the PCI e slot, however, I still had issues with the pc crashing under load, using an 8k benchmark the pc crashes instantly to a coloured screen. This also happens when I play a game, even simple source engine games and this randomly happens.

Unusually, when I cut power to 80% the benchmark doesn't crash leading me to believe that my PSU can't deliver enough power, I would have assumed that if this was the case.

My specs are as listed:
Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 980 Ti
AMD Ryzen 2600x
2x8gb ddr4 Corsair vengeance c15 3000mhz ram
WD black 1tb HDD
Seagate 250-320gb HDD (7200rpm, forgot which model)
WD green 240gb SSD (SATA)
THERMALTAKE Hamburg 530W PSU

If these are also put in consideration considering my case
6 sahara pirate RGB fans
Oculus rift cv1 always connected

I will add images if needed
need to know before asking for a replacement or go any further

Solution
That PSU is just a TR2 and they are junk. While it could be a GPU issue from the artifacting, the poor quality PSU is an issue better dealt with sooner than later as the TR2s have been known to kill components when they fail and stressing a PSU(like you've been doing) is a good way to put them in the grave.

rayanedjerouni33

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/900-series/

GTX 980ti is 250W. A 600W or greater PSU is recommended. However, the rest of the system is relatively low power, so I would have thought you might have got away with it. But you should probably try a new PSU to be on the safe side. Also make sure the GPU cooler is clean - no dust!
I am able to easily return the card, however, I'm not able to determine whether the card is the issue or the PSU is, I'll probably just return the card and they'll send me a replacement (could be a worse or better variant of the card, can't tell which), if the issue persists I'll upgrade my PSU (I've had it for 2 years and used to use it with a gtx 960 on the get go), probably time to upgrade, however I'll keep this question open as I haven't really cleared up the reason this is happening, temps are 65C running a furmark burn test with post-fx toggled. Hopefully the card is at fault and not my rig.

thanks for the feedback

bignastyid

Titan
That PSU is just a TR2 and they are junk. While it could be a GPU issue from the artifacting, the poor quality PSU is an issue better dealt with sooner than later as the TR2s have been known to kill components when they fail and stressing a PSU(like you've been doing) is a good way to put them in the grave.

Solution