Question Bought Vega 56 having second thoughts..

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
So I bought one of those Vega 56 people talking about on sale 279 with 30 rebate total 250. It’s the Air Boost model and everyone has been telling me it’s crap will be very loud and run very hot. I’ve got a RMA started with new egg I haven’t opened the card so they agreed to take it back. Should I send it back or just keep it? I play 1080p 75fps on a freesync monitor.

I came from an rx580 I needed just a little more power to max games at 75fps so do I keep this? Or gonwith a 1660ti or 2060? I have no idea and if you say to change models which specific model should I go with.

I just need some solid advice before I was to open the box and they won’t accept the card back. I don’t want some card that is crazy loud 24/7 or running 80C burning up my room lol. My old rx580!red devil would usually run about 60. But that’s FPS capped at 75 FPS

I don’t mind spending the extra to get whatwbe but I’m just looking for the best choice here. I’ve got the Vega already but if one of the others are better I’m all for that just please explain why /what model is recommended

Personally buying 'a little more power' is not great value, buy a lot more or wait, paying $250 for 10% more performance is not a good idea (all value's are just for the purpose of the example.)

It's why on the hierarchy charts we only recommend jumping 2-3 levels at a time, anything else isn't really worth it.

The Vega 56 can be OC'd to the Vega 64 which makes it a great card.
Sadly, you need a decent cooler on it and by the sounds of it you don't have one with a decent cooler.
580 to vega 56 is a 25% performance boost, which is the same as the 1660ti
The 1660ti will be quieter and less power draw.
As for support for your monitor, is it freesync? I hear that the new Nvidia drivers now support freesync.

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Personally buying 'a little more power' is not great value, buy a lot more or wait, paying $250 for 10% more performance is not a good idea (all value's are just for the purpose of the example.)

It's why on the hierarchy charts we only recommend jumping 2-3 levels at a time, anything else isn't really worth it.
Vega 56 is only 10% faster than the 580? I was under the impression it was considerably more. Anyways it still wasn’t allowijt to max my games at 75fps so I need an upgrade and don’t wanna spend $500 to do so. So I was asking for opinions on what card to get. I’ve already sold my rx 580 do $150.

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
The Vega 56 can be OC'd to the Vega 64 which makes it a great card.
Sadly, you need a decent cooler on it and by the sounds of it you don't have one with a decent cooler.
580 to vega 56 is a 25% performance boost, which is the same as the 1660ti
The 1660ti will be quieter and less power draw.
As for support for your monitor, is it freesync? I hear that the new Nvidia drivers now support freesync.
Yes it’s freesync. Any suggestions on which 1660ti would be a good choice?

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
If you go here - https://www.guru3d.com/news-page/2.html
they just reviewed 4 of them. You can have a look and make your own conclusion, but he does always recommend the one with 2 fans, because it is slightly quieter and cooler
Thanks for the help. Obviously a 2060 strix for 399 is overkill but in the future if I wanted to hit VR or move to 1440p would this be a good futureproof choice?

Personally, I think the 2060 isn't worth the money, or any of the 20xx cards. If and when they drop by $100 or so, then I think they will be.
Everything is about cost, so buy what you think it is you can afford. A 1660 will do 1440, but not as good as a 2060 will do it.

Personally, I think of best I can get for the money I have, as you can always say, if I spend another $100 I can get the next one which will be faster... and if I spend another $100 on that I can get the next one.

Only you know what your budget allows and sadly most of us regret what we buy because the next day it goes down in price or you wish you had spent more on the next one.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Since you have a 75Hz Fressync monitor and already get about 60FPS with your 580, I'm not sure it's worth it to spend a lot money to get a solid 75FPS. You will not see much improvement going from hovering about 60FPS in Freesync compared to 75FPS at VSYNC. With Freesync, 60FPS is already quite smooth. Unless you also plan to chnage the monitor in the near future, I would stick with what you already have and spend the money elsewhere.