• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Box Shots of Retail Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Why such elaborate packing is required just for a few slips of paper is beyond us, but at least it’ll be identifiable as a Microsoft Windows product when sitting on the store shelves."

Gotta realize for alot of consumers, they may not see the worth of such investment right away. So microsoft packages the purchase with a good image, and likely a ton of printed material explaining the additions they've just added to windows.

Am I saying I disagree? Not at all. But MS has a reason though too.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I thought M$ wanted to cut down on redundant packaging with Win 7[/citation]

It's not redundant. Look at all of that variety on that packaging. I mean that 7 totally jumps off of the page with it's awesome uniqueness!

But yea, I think tacking on the work "Upgrade" to the title would have sufficed... Ah well...

jerreece

Splendid
Why such elaborate packing is required just for a few slips of paper is beyond us, but at least it’ll be identifiable as a Microsoft Windows product when sitting on the store shelves.
Apparently you've never worked in any retail environment what so ever. If there's a slip of paper in there, which contains a Serial Number / License Key, and that's what you're paying for, it would easily be stuffed into a pocket. This is why pretty much everything these days comes in the over-sized plastic containers that cut your fingers when you try to tear them open.

It's about theft prevention. And, as someone else stated above, it allows them to print lots of details on the packaging to answer some of the common questions folks might have when they pick up the package.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Sigh this dam upgrade thing bugs me so bad i just want a full version of 7 and I would love to pre order but I want to throw my vitsa cd in the trash so bad and if i get an upgrade version I will have to reinstall vista before i can do 7 when i get a new hard drive. I plan on having 7 for a while so i don't want to deal with these lame restrictions so i'll wait until newegg has the full 7 for a decent price :p

It seems Europe might get the full version of 7 for the upgrade pre order prices....... hopefully we do too

yelped

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
You don't have to install Vista to upgrade to Windows 7, you just have to insert the Vista DVD during the installation.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
wait if they are just codes to unlock something that was already installed with our operating system, that feel pretty bad.

cworkman29729

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hell If It Doesn't Come With A CD Alot Of People Won't Be Buying Windows 7! B/c If There's No CD's Then Where Is It Gonna Get The Files? Download Them? Well Everybody Doesn't Have Super Fast Internet! So This CD Less Option Is Gonna SUCK!!!

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
It's a complete waste of paper and cardboard to sell boxes with slips of paper on them. Period.

I don't see anyone with Windows 7 NOT having an internet connection and some form of non-cash currency, therefore retail boxes for a Key Code is pretty much a waste IMO.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
BTW - you don't download anything as far as I know - the features are already on every Windows 7 install from Home to Ultimate - the code merely unlocks them.

G

get the cds or dvds when your harddrive dies you will still have the dvds for 20 years and can load it again and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY