BOXDX58SO2

mothandras

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I bought the Intel BOXDX58SO2, to replace a malfunctioning Gigabyte board X58A-U3DR Rev 1. I had just upgraded my video card to the new Gigabyte 7970 and the system became unstable, when playing games my frame rates were worse than the video card it replaced (GTX 480). The XMP profile for CMD12GX3M6A1600C8, were not stable anymore either after being stable for 2+ years. When I received the new motherboard BOXDX58SO2, it wouldn't even boot. I contacted Intel's costumer service but they just had me running in circles trying different memory, video cards, PSU. I took my computer to work where I do IT 24/7/365 and replaced this ram kit with a set of 1.5v ddr3 basic memory. The system booted fine after that. I reloaded windows and proceeded to update the bios on BOXDX58SO2. The bios was a little over a year out of date. After the bios update it recognized my CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 and booted fine. I then proceeded to try to use the XMP profile for 1600Mhz and it worked fine. The system ran for about 2 days stable, then this morning it was hung. After trying to restart the system several times without success. I used the back to bios feature (which is great), and got back into bios. It used a default setting to get memory back to 1066mhz and booted to bios fine. I am currently running @ 1066mhz and running fine. Will this board not support the 1600mhz XMP? Is there something wrong with this memory? Is it overheating causing instability? The AIRFLOW fan unit for these modules died about a year ago, it made all kinds of noise anyway. So I is just being cooled by my intake fan. Is there another set of memory that would work better with my BOXDX58SO2? Higher Speed memory? Intel suggests memory with 1.5v only, but the overclocking features of the board suggest that it will work with higher voltages.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

The issue isnt the board so much as the processor. When we released the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors like the Intel Core i7 that you are using we moved the memory controller on the processor. With these processor you are looking at supported memory of DDR 3 800/1066 at 1.5v. If you are using memory that is rated at higher speed or even more importantly higher voltages you can damage the memory controller on the processor and cause a number of problems.

Using memory that is rated at 1.5v ±5% is really pushing the talerances on the processor. So the best advise that I can give you is to stick with the 1.5v.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

mothandras

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Would http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145350&Tpk=N82E16820145350 be a good upgrade then? Since its designed to run @1.5v?

That memory should work fine as long as you dont have a HSF (heatsink/fan) that sticks over the memory slots. If you do get this memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Now understand you are really running over on speed but it isnt as big of an issue as running high voltage. If you have to call our technical support back set the memory at 1066 before you do.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team