Boxed CPU Guaranteed Copper?

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Before i buy a CPU online how sure can i be that its got a copper core... it says retail boxed but how can i be 100% sure?

<b><font color=red><^></font color=red></b>

G

I recommend you wait for Northwood in Q3 or Q4 of this year. Then you will be 100% Guaranteed to get a .13 micron Copper core CPU.

G

I believe AMD chips made in Germany are the copper ones and have the letters AXIA stamped on them.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Nope, it does not have to be an AXIA to have copper interconnects.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

AXIA or no AXIA it doesnt matter.. your best bet is to wait for Northwood. :)

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
im not wiating and ive read that you cant tell at all by looking at the core i was just woundering that if i buy this online cpu that says that its reatail boxed if i would be sure to get a reteal cpu with the 3 year worenty and copper core

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If it's a Thunderbird, then yes you have quite a good chance. If it's a Duron, well, that's different. I dont think very many copper Durons were made, if any were made at all.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

Try to get AXIA chip - this will guarantee much higher overclock speed that just copper. I had a copper one at 900MHz (bought long ago) that barely reached 1.2GHz while the reports are that current AXIA stepping are reaching average 1.4GHz without any problem (mine 1GHz AXIA runs perfectly at 1.533GHz with normal air cooling - I am using FOP32 which is not even the best cooler). That's why it may be better to spend $10-$20 more and to buy chip from a local retailer where you can hand pick the chip you want. Also among current 1.33GHz chips most are AXIA so even if you buy on-line it is almost for sure that you will be able to hit 1.4GHz. And about person that tells you to wait for Northwood - it is always true that in 3 or 4 months there will be something new/better/cheaper. If you need processor now just go and buy one, if you don't need one and you can wait for several months then buy one when you need it and what is best at that time (althought I suggest that Palomino will provide better price/performance than Northwood but who knows?).
Regards,
menads

G

AMD officials clearly stated that ALL Durons are made in Austin so there are NO copper Durons. Unfortunately some of the TBirds are also made in Austin so you can never be sure that you will always get copper TBird unless you cherry pick one (Both statements where chips are manufactured were made on the shareholders pres-conference by AMD CEO).
Regards,
menads

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
the reason im asking is i have this choice of getting a 1.33 OEM from my local shop or buy a retail box online... the OEM has red core if it makes a dif thanks

G

I would recommend you to go to the local shop and to look on the markings on the chip. It should says something like:

AMD Athlon(tm)
A1333AMS3C (1333 stands for 1333MHz, C stands for 266MHz FSB)
XXXX YYZZRRRR (example AXIA 0103BPBW)
TTTTTTTTTTTT (example F2172030021)

What is importand to look for:
on the second row XXXX are 4 letter abreviation which is current batch, try to get AXIA or BXIA chip (if they do not have any of those AVIA is your next choice or you may want to go shopping on-line)
YYZZ are 4 numbers like 0103 which means when chip is produced: 01 stands for year 2001, 03 stands for week #3 (out ot 52).
Unfortunately I don't know what RRRR and TTTTTTTTT markings stands for. If somebody knows I will appreciate if he/she shred some light over it.
For example markings look on these pictures:

1100MHz 200MHz FSB TBird:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000828/athlon-01.html

1333MHz 266MHz FSB TBird:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q1/010322/index.html
Reagrds,
menads

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Look at the cores of the cpus if you are dealing with AMD cpus. If its Intel, there is no copper into Northwood. Blue cores are copper, and green cores are from Austin. This is only for T-birds......

MeldarthX

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I thought it was a very well known fact... guess it's not that well known :wink:

I think AMD announced it awhile back.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
what was a well known fact? about the color of the core? i herd that that info was unrealible any way the core of the CPU at my local store is red

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
The well known fact hes talking about is that all 1.2 and 1.33 are copper core.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

G

Isn't the issue whether the interconnects are of copper? Some OEM's don't have them?

G

I think the truth is, is that no one know for certain they are getting a copper core cpu. Some people say retail t-birds are copper others claim that some OEM t-birds are copper. Then to make it even more confusing someone else swears that it doesnt matter if its retail or OEM cpu, if its 1.2Ghz or higher then it copper. Jeez.. Who REALLY knows? I would like to see some documentation or at least some evidence to back up one of these claims? Until then I think its safe to say there is no guarantee you will get a copper t-bird.

Kalzone

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Someone mentioned earlier, on this board, that all 1.33Ghz AMDs were AXIA. Is this true? On another site someone mentioned that the copper cores came from Dresden, Germany. Does the chip have a code on it that tells at which factory it was made? (Dresden vs. Austin)?