[SOLVED] boxes

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Do you keep boxes from CPU, GPU, Motherboard, webcam, headphone, ect... after the warranty has expired that way when you do replace/upgrade, do you put old stuff back in the box or throw away?

Solution
I keep boxes for things that need boxes for warranty, or items that require (more or less) boxes for transport.
I keep things like processor boxes and their clamshells, but I dont really keep GPU boxes around.
I have had the box for my case since I first built my PC, I use it with the original foam whenever I have to move my system.
The boxes for my new speakers are staying around until the return period ends (since I would have to spend money to repack for returns/exchanges)
I keep boxes for things that need boxes for warranty, or items that require (more or less) boxes for transport.
I keep things like processor boxes and their clamshells, but I dont really keep GPU boxes around.
I have had the box for my case since I first built my PC, I use it with the original foam whenever I have to move my system.
The boxes for my new speakers are staying around until the return period ends (since I would have to spend money to repack for returns/exchanges)

Reactions: Lutfij
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
It may or may not vary from region to region. In my region I'm told to hold onto the boxes for at least 6 months to a year before chucking them out. Others state to hold onto them. If you had a shelf, it'd be better if you retained the boxes.

Ralston18

Titan
I likewise keep the boxes until the item is past RMA/warranty date.

May undo all the flaps etc. and flatten the box for storage.

Then at some future date, I cut out or copy the labeling with Part Number, Serial Number, Version Number, specs, etc..

Useful for "proof of purchase" situations/recalls/troubleshooting....

Cardboard, packaging, plastic all gets recycled as applicable.