boy o boy... Computer will not POST

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Im back again.. I have a feeling im just screwing everything up lately lol.

I spent hours last night finishing my Intel build and this morning I tried to boot it to install windows etc but the computer will not post. It started up for about 3 seconds than shuts down and does it all over again until I shut the power off.

Everything purchased brand new, My System:
Thermaltake Chaser mk-1
I7-4770K
Gigabyte z97x-soc
OCZ 850w psu
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 840 Evo 250 ssd
Crucial M4 256 ssd
16gb G.Skill Ripjaw ram

I spent forever trying to figure this out on my own but have had no luck at all, so far what I have done is:

-Test the psu by using paper clip and allowing it to run on its own
-Tried each memory slot to boot, one stick at a time and swapped
-Unplugged ssd's, dvd writer, sata cables except the power to the cpu
-Unplugged usb cables etc
-Standoff's are all installed
-Currently using integrated gpu
-Removed mobo battery

The computer does not beep, nothing on screen, all fans are spinning, led's are working but than shuts off after seconds.

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

Both of those motherboard are not the model, those are the *force* models. Mine is a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC which is http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4967#bios

I do not see the bios version on the box but I will go look on the motherboard.

And honestly I have no idea what you mean it needs F5 to support it?

Well in that case it does support it since it needs F3 which is the first BIOS

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz 8MB 350 MHz / 1250 MHz Haswell 22nm C0 84W 100 F3

This 16gb G.Skill Ripjaw ram is that one stick or 2x4, or 2x8 GB sticks??

Because it wont support 1 16GB stick in one slot

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

It is 2x8 sticks.

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

Yuppers I connected both the 4pin and 8pin along with the 24pin. I put the stand offs exactly where the holes are for the mobo.

The dimm switches are turned on for all slots.

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Alright I disconnected everything and cleaned off the thermal paste and re-applied. Double checked all my connections when putting it back together.

It still does the exact same thing as before. Starts and than shuts down (repeat)

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Have you tried clearing cmos?

I would suspect the bios . Because you hear no beep. There is a chance you got a bad motherboard . Or the power supply dose not put out the right voltage or amps. I would also make sure you have the right amount of amps on the positive 12 volt rail according to what the video card recommends . And the rest of your hardware . . Oh and yah that was way to much paste. In general you olny need a pea size drop . Good luck

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

I just swapped the cpu to the G1830 cpu with the stock cooler and no change, the same rebooting.

Your correct that I do not hear a beep, How do I check to make sure that I am putting out the correct v & amps? I assume I would have to do this somehow with a multimeter. You mentioned to check on what the video card recommends but I have yet to install my gpu.

GET CARTER

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I was thinking that maybe my PSU is messed up even though I did the paper clip test but that is only to show it turn on and off. So I grabbed the MSI Z87 GD-65 mobo that I have aswell and thre my 4770K into that and just plugged it up for power to see if it would have the rebooting issue.

It booted up fine.

free image upload