Boy With Severe Allergies Sends Robot to School in His Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I missed a lot of school due to illness growing up, somewhere between 1/4-1/3 of my days. Something like this could have been really useful to help me keep up with my classes.

I would have hated it, of course, since I didn't care for school any more than most kids, but it would have been good for me all the same. I'm glad to see that future children will have this advantage.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Good he's able to get an education still even with his condition; not many kids could get that opportunity.[/citation]

Or would even want to take the opportunity.

On the other hand, during the swine flu panic, two infected classmates dragged themselves to school...

...a week before finals, and they had no concept of sanitation (not covering mouth with arm when coughing/sneezing, never washing hands even after using the toilet, etc). Oh dear lord.

If kids are infected how are they even allowed into the school? They could spread the sickness to other students

That is also gross, reminds me of the people at my college, I would say like 35% of the people leaving the bathrooms don't wash their hands, and toilets are covered in crap(literally).

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Good he's able to get an education still even with his condition; not many kids could get that opportunity. Best of luck to him in the future.[/citation]
Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't many kids in such a position simply school at home without the robot?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nonoitall[/nom]Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't many kids in such a position simply school at home without the robot?[/citation]

Who will teach them? The parents, the same parents too busy working just to pay basic bills?

Yea great idea, have him have no place to live.

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Who will teach them? The parents, the same parents too busy working just to pay basic bills?Yea great idea, have him have no place to live.[/citation]I was home schooled by two working parents. My teachers, while busy, still gave me more individual attention than those who must attend to a class of 30+ students. I'm not saying that I think home school is better than public school or vice versa, but when attending public school is not feasible, there are usually other options available for education, and not all are so radical that a $6000 robot is a prerequisite. ;)

G

This kid doesn't need a robot, he needs a Quarian (a la Mass Effect) exosuit.

spaceinvaderx

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Is it bully proof? What's stopping some little punk from "oops!" hitting this thing and making it fall over or from getting stepped on? Just doesn't look that sturdy to me. Cool, but flimsy...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
what happened with much cheaper technology called a web cam or teleconference....even skype is cheaper....i am a little confused why he is using this overpriced technology

G

Man I could imagine how I could be a bully to that robot :D Not that I would, the kid is bad off already.

Put something blocking the camera, flip the robot over, spill water on it, put it on top of the school, blast an air horn at the mic, so may ways to cause trouble :p

This is actually something nice. I hated to have to ONLY pay attention to the teacher. If you did more than that (even if you could solve the problems anyway) they would takeaway what you were doing since "it distracted" you.

In my books, doing something you like can expand creativity, as long as you can cope with the lesson at the same time.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
My son has a peanut allergy... This story hits home for me. I'm sure the parents got tired of hearing other parents demonizing their kids due to a disability. I am going through this shit right now, and some the the shit parents say makes me want to put them in a coma. For some odd reason they think that their kids being able to eat peanut butter at school is more important my kid living.

Status
Not open for further replies.