BQ! Dark Rock Pro 3 ram clearance?

my_dk

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Hello

Will it be possible to use the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 on a Asus Maximus VII Formula and G.Skill Trident X memory?

Shneiky

Distinguished
Any large cooler will not allow you to use tall memory. [strike]You can still put the memory in Slot 1 and Slot 3 opposed to Slot 0 and Slot 2, but I am not sure it will not touch the RAM. Could not find definitive info. [/strike] The Dark Rock Pro 3 hangs over the first 3 slots. I am afraid you won't be able to use the tall RAM. The Dark Rock Pro3 allows up to 40mm and the Trident X is 54mm tall. This is at least what I found in the Internet.

Yes it will fit if you remove the top of the heat spreader (the fins have a small screw at either end). Otherwise I have gskill ripjaws x which aren't extreme low profile ram installed just fine on a z97 under the dark rock pro 3. The extra tall fins on the trident are more or less decoration and it's a nice feature that they can be removed. You won't see them anyway since the drp3 covers almost all 4 ram slots.

http://www.overclockers.com/gskill-16gb-tridentx-ddr3-1600-cl7-memory-kit-review/

"TridentX memory comes with removable top fins. This serves a dual purpose. For those that push their memory to the absolute max using extreme cooling, the flat top is perfect for mounting a RAM pot. It’s also perfect for those with larger heatsink/fan combinations that overhang the RAM. Removing that top fin instantly makes them low profile sticks."

my_dk

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Does the fin have any purpose besides being eye candy if you not having any intention on overclocking the memory? Removing them will indeed solve the problem, but if it have any impact on the performance or cooling efficient on normal non clock use.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Tall heatspreaders are just eye candy and high overclock asset. I have seen 2133 MHz DDR3 RAM running on pure PCB without any problems. There are even DDR3 1866 MHz no heat spreader at all RAM for sale by various manifacturers.

In some extreme cases, ram coolers might help during maximum oc. For 99.9% of the time, I see heatspreaders on ram about as necessary as big cooling fins attached to usb slots. Removing the top fin off the tridents makes little to no difference since it doesn't remove the entire heatsink if you were concerned about it. Just the taller than normal fin area. What remains are the typical heatsinks along the sides found on low profile ram actually in contact with the ic chips. I have a feeling all the multicolor, various fin designs were more or less marketing hype/gimmicks. Plain ram is harder to sell than uber turbo l33t racing ram. Just like motherboards are focused on the 'bling', they're no longer plain boring green - they have all different shades of anodized aluminum heatsinks with heatpipes and water cooling ports, light up logos, light up led trace paths on the audio, pcb's come in every color just about, there's even a motherboard out with a sort of shield over all the components (can't be ideal for passive cooling) with arctic camo all over it. Granted vrm's can get hot while overclocking, but it's pretty easy to tell. Carefully touch your finger to any number of components, vrm's get hot, northbridge on older boards gets hot, southbridge gets a little warm - beyond that, I've never felt hot ram.