Question BQ! Silent Base 802 or Fractal D. 7 (full or compact)

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Hi there,

Just wondering out of the 3 cases in the title, which is generally considered the most highly regarded overall?

My primary concern is silence, but that's not to say airflow doesn't mean anything. I'm looking for something that has great build quality and isn't wildly overpriced. Basically, my preferences are:

-Dont need/want RGB
-Dont need/want glass panels
-Not doing AIO water cooling

Cheers!

Last edited:
i like the Silent Base 802 much better.
will offer much better airflow, will be easier to build in, has a lot of modular options, and just looks better in my opinion.

i currently have a Fractal Design Vector RS for my main system
and a be quiet! Dark Base 700 for my secondary system.
both are exceptionally well made but i'd say the be quiet! is a bit higher quality.

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
i like the Silent Base 802 much better.
will offer much better airflow, will be easier to build in, has a lot of modular options, and just looks better in my opinion.

i currently have a Fractal Design Vector RS for my main system
and a be quiet! Dark Base 700 for my secondary system.
both are exceptionally well made but i'd say the be quiet! is a bit higher quality.

Interesting! Can you expand a little on your preference in taking the Silent Base 802 over the Fractal Design 7 Full or Compact? I've been watching a lot of review videos from top streamers, but I'm finding it very difficult picking one over the other two.

One thing I do really appreciate is having fan filters that reduce dust inside the case that are easy to clean.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi there,

Just wondering out of the 3 cases in the title, which is generally considered the most highly regarded overall?

My primary concern is silence, but that's not to say airflow doesn't mean anything. I'm looking for something that has great build quality and isn't wildly overpriced. Basically, my preferences are:

-Dont need/want RGB

Cheers!
Most of it depends on the parts used most of the time less noise = less airflow, the higher the TDP of the PC parts more airflow will be needed to keep the parts cool.

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
Most of it depends on the parts used most of the time less noise = less airflow, the higher the TDP of the PC parts more airflow will be needed to keep the parts cool.
The CPU is the Ryzen 7 5800X. The GPU is pretty old and not very powerful (can't find any good cards anywhere thanks to the scalpers / miners).

wgulker

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Hi there,

-Dont need/want RGB

Cheers!
I have 2 R6 cases which I think are close to the R7. I think they are great cases however the design is getting a bit old. If would only get an R6/R7 if you have spinning hard drives or a need to a DVD drive. The front section of the case is not needed unless you have "legacy" hardware that needs the space.

I would look at something like the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact. I just build my son a computer in this case and that it was excellent.

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
There's so many options - that's my issue!

I'm even seeing recommendations for the Dark Base 700 (even though it's a few years old now), so it's a really though decision.

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
it's a very high quality build but the top has very limited airflow with only a few slatted vents towards the rear.
their Silent Base 802 is much better.
How is the cable management in the Silent Base 802? I've seen a couple reviewers saying it is pretty bad compared to similarly priced cases, and to of lesser importance, the feet/legs of the case aren't good.

Last edited:
How is the cable management in the Silent Base 802? I've seen a couple reviewers saying it is pretty bad compared to similarly priced cases, and to of lesser importance, the feet/legs of the case aren't good.
i don't know where that would be coming from but behind the motherboard tray there are lots of routing options for cables.
is very similar to their other cases in that you use the drive tray cover's tabs for routing cables and then can use their included velcro straps wherever necessary.
022.jpg

the feet are perfectly fine.
some may not like that they protrude to the sides a bit but there is nothing that would be considered "not good".
holds it up off the desktop surface for good airflow.

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
i don't know where that would be coming from but behind the motherboard tray there are lots of routing options for cables.
is very similar to their other cases in that you use the drive tray cover's tabs for routing cables and then can use their included velcro straps wherever necessary.
022.jpg

the feet are perfectly fine.
some may not like that they protrude to the sides a bit but there is nothing that would be considered "not good".
holds it up off the desktop surface for good airflow.
Sounds great, but now I just found out that the one store in Canada (as far as I can see), has only one left and it's a display model which the sales rep says he cannot sell. Fantastic...

Can't find the Dark Base 700 anywhere either, so it looks like an alternative is needed to the be quiet! brand entirely. I'm back to looking at the Fractal 7 or 7 Compact, or if there are other more widely available alternatives.

Last edited:
yeah, it's been difficult to find a lot of hardware these passed couple years.
almost all sites & stores i look at are sold out of what seems like the majority of components i'm interested in.
if there are other more widely available alternatives
a shopping list i had compiled over the years of a lot of the nicer cases i had seen & worked with,
though the majority of these have also been sold out when searching again:
https://newegg.io/e44c8a5

Jayce98

Prominent
Jan 1, 2022
yeah, it's been difficult to find a lot of hardware these passed couple years.
almost all sites & stores i look at are sold out of what seems like the majority of components i'm interested in.

a shopping list i had compiled over the years of a lot of the nicer cases i had seen & worked with,
though the majority of these have also been sold out when searching again:
https://newegg.io/e44c8a5
That's a nice list!

I have my sights on the Define 7 Compact, but I feel like after seeing certain aspects from reviews I would regret going for it, so I'm definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited: