[SOLVED] Braided Cables For PSU

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

I have a 650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold PSU. I would like to get some new coloured cables for my PSU. I have looked at some well known website here in the UK and I am unsure whether the cables I am looking at are compatible or safe to use with my PSU.

How do I know if they are? Does any braided cable work with any PSU?

Also I see some packs say they are “extensions”. I assume these would connect onto my original PSU cables. Can you get ones that go straight into the PSU to help on cable management?

My PSU is just over 2 years old. Not sure if thats important to know.

Thanks you

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 Vengeance
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super
1TB 860 evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Solution
Braided cables are an extention

"Braided cables" aren't always extensions.

Also I see some packs say they are “extensions”. I assume these would connect onto my original PSU cables. Can you get ones that go straight into the PSU to help on cable management?

Extensions work with any PSU, but they are HORRIBLE in practice. You can't extend the length of a cable, with smaller gauge wire, and an additional connector, and not expect there to be resistance.

You should find a replacement cable set made specifically for Seasonic PSUs. I know you can find cables that are compatible with Focus Plus Gold at Cablemod...

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Braided cables are an extention: they make your cables longer. It's kinda just the same thing as a wall outlet extention cable. I don't know if there are ones that plug in to your PSU directly, you'd need a male to male cable, and braided cable extentions are as far as I know female to male..

Braided cables are an extention

"Braided cables" aren't always extensions.

Extensions work with any PSU, but they are HORRIBLE in practice. You can't extend the length of a cable, with smaller gauge wire, and an additional connector, and not expect there to be resistance.

You should find a replacement cable set made specifically for Seasonic PSUs. I know you can find cables that are compatible with Focus Plus Gold at Cablemod: https://eustore.cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=rt-series-asus

Solution

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Thank you both. Just having a look at that website. Its an expensive game changing the cables. They do look pretty cool though.

PSU cables are unique to the psu.
Contact Seasonic to see if they can lead you to some authorized replacements.
In no way would I trust anything else.

Sound advice. Will see if I can contact Seasonic before doing anything.

I thought it would be much easier to find replacement cables.

Thanks

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi, Got a reply from Seasonic this morning. They said...

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

For third party compatible cable, we can recommend Cablemod.com or Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0. Both got dedicated cable for our PSU's.
Use of third party compatible cable won't invalidate your warranty.

Any other question, please let us know.
Thank you.

So I think I know what am looking for now. Thanks everyone.