Question Brand loyalty or nay?

ricod306

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Good day guys

I have a opinion that has been influencing my hardware choices for years and honeslty I dont even know if it is true.

I have always felt that buying multiple hardware from the same brand causes them to work better together, like for instance buying a rog strix motherboard to go with a rox strix gpu for better syncing and compatibility but in truth I don't know actually if this makes all the difference from running a gigabyte Aorus motherboard with a rog strix gpu.

I currently have an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 and I am looking to upgrade towards the latest Ryzen 7 but I am stuck at choosing a motherboard. ASUS GIGABYTE and MSI are on the list but given I have a Rog card I am more leaning towards the ASUS x570 lineup but again this is only due to the fact that I feel they would work better together and I honestly don't know if it is actually so. The reason I don't want to buy ASUS is they are more expensive and I am not sure if it is worth it for anything less than aesthetics and not better VRM's etc.

Looking forward to what you all think

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Good day guys

I have a opinion that has been influencing my hardware choices for years and honeslty I dont even know if it is true.

I have always felt that buying multiple hardware from the same brand causes them to work better together, like for instance buying a rog strix motherboard to go with a rox strix gpu for better syncing and compatibility but in truth I don't know actually if this makes all the difference from running a gigabyte Aorus motherboard with a rog strix gpu.

I currently have an ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 and I am looking to upgrade towards the latest Ryzen 7 but I am stuck at choosing a motherboard. ASUS GIGABYTE and MSI are on the list but given I have a Rog card I am more leaning towards the ASUS x570 lineup but again this is only due to the fact that I feel they would work better together and I honestly don't know if it is actually so. The reason I don't want to buy ASUS is they are more expensive and I am not sure if it is worth it for anything less than aesthetics and not better VRM's etc.

Looking forward to what you all think
Hello!
For now, the only benefit you have to brand matching is easier software usage. I think the only benefit you have from buying ROG Strix hardware is the fact you use less software to control RGB etc. The only brand benefit you can have is going to be AMD's SMC (Smart Memory Cache), which will work on only 5th gen Ryzen CPU's with the new RX 6000 series GPU's. Nvidia is working on developing something similar, but that won't matter for CPU brand, you only need a Nvidia GPU. Me and my friends are gamers on a tight budget, so I can tell you that brand matching isn't a first for us. Also, in my opinion, ROG Strix hardware is very overpriced and ASUS certainly doesn't favour price-performance.
Hope this was of help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
other than common software as pointed out above, there is no performance gain to be had by matching hardware like that. it may look good in the case though with all the matching badges and so on.

no reason not to do it, but nothing to be gained by doing it either.

Last edited:

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
other than common software as pointed out aboce, there is no performance gain to be had by matching hardware like that. it may look good in the case though with all the matching badges and so on.

no reason not to do it, but nothing to be gained by doing it either.
Exactly, for me, personally, just a waste of money and when you are on a budget you value performance more than looks. I mean if you have the money and you like it you can always just get what you like, brand match and so on. My PC is kind of a sleeper build, doesn't look quite nice on the outside.

ricod306

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
On that matter then what would you guys suggest for a budget build.

1. When might nvidia develop SMC?
  2. I am looking to buy the RX 6700 as it is in the class between RTX 3070 and RTX 3060.
  3. I am looking at the Ryzen 7 5800x
  4. 1TB M. 2 NVMe SSD.
  5. I am planning on gaming on 3840 x 1440 at least with 90+ FPS on ultra (based cod MW 2019).

I have a 600W EVGA 80+ power supply. So what else would you guys suggest?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
1440p needs a lot of gpu power. more so than cpu power.

i'd personally drop down to a 5600x and then put that extra cash into as much of a gpu as you can afford from there. 3070/6800 is about the lowest i'd be looking to try and run at high fps on 1440p.

it just takes a lot of gpu horsepower to run at higher resolutions especially if you also want to check all the eye candy boxes.

Reactions: SlavfromBulgaria

ricod306

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
1440p needs a lot of gpu power. more so than cpu power.

i'd personally drop down to a 5600x and then put that extra cash into as much of a gpu as you can afford from there. 3070/6800 is about the lowest i'd be looking to try and run at high fps on 1440p.

it just takes a lot of gpu horsepower to run at higher resolutions especially if you also want to check all the eye candy boxes.
Would the ryzen 5 5600x not bottleneck a GPU of such magnitude? I mean its computing power is roughly 2.5x the Teraflops of a GTX 1070

Would the ryzen 5 5600x not bottleneck a GPU of such magnitude? I mean its computing power is roughly 2.5x the Teraflops of a GTX 1070

No. Firstly the 5600x is among the best CPU’s currently available for gaming. It is only a small margin behind its bigger brother the 5950x which currently holds the gaming crown.

Also at 1440p you are less likely to to be cpu limited than running 1080p. I am running a 3700x and RTX 3080 for 1440p 144Hz gaming and it’s a great combination with no sign of being cpu limited. The 5600x is a stronger gaming cpu.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yup 1440p shifts the hard work to the gpu which is why you want the best gpu you can get for that or 4k gaming.

the cpu will not have as much work to do as it will be waiting for the gpu more often than not.

at this point you are overthinking things a bit too much. build, the system and sit back and enjoy it :)