Question Brand new 1tb SSD showing only 698 gb of storage?

Jun 25, 2019
My brand new Samsung 860 EVO is only showing 698 gb of storage in file explorer. Using Samsung magician it says that the drive has 932 gb of usable storage so its clearly an issue with either windows 10 or my installation rather than the drive itself. Ive tried to use extend volume in disk manager but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have no idea what's causing this, does anyone have any ideas?

Jun 25, 2019
No, I meant...what were the exact steps you did from taking the drive out of the box until now?
New volume, formatting, etc...
Oh sorry
So I plugged in the ssd and ran Magician to make sure it worked. Then I just went into disk management and clicked new simple volume for the drive and used all the default settings. When I noticed the storage was messed up I tried expanding volume but the option was greyed out. Then I tried deleting the volume and creating it again but the same thing happened.

USAFRet

Titan
If you deleted the Volume and started over, and it still only gave the value of 698GB instead of 932GB...I'd start a conversation with Samsung for a possible replacement.

I have that exact same drive, and it does not do that, nor is it a fault in Win 10.

Jun 25, 2019
So I managed to fix the problem. I just used GParted and it showed that there was 232gb of unused space on the harddrive so I resized the partition to use all the available space. Hopefully I didn't * something up but It seems to be working fine. No idea why disk manager was unable to recognize the missing space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: King_V