Question brand new ASUS 2060 SUPER 12GB gpu fps stuttering

Aug 28, 2022
Hello I recently got a gpu off amazon and it stutters while playing Smite, a game made about a decade ago, on Low settings for everything. I can reach 144 fps but during heavy fighting it goes down to 90-100ish and stutters/lags the game. Keep in mind this is a game that I used to run smoothly in 2015 on MAXIMUM graphics settings on my gtx 970 with no issues what so ever. So I am a bit confused to why it is lagging so much if its new and if I should possibly RMA it. other pc specs are Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor, ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A , Antec 650W 80-PLUS Gold ATX12V/EPS12V 650 Power Supply , Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO , Samsung 870 QVO 1TB

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The next thing I would consider would be in relation to your monitor, cable, sync type. If you don't already have a G sync monitor, you may want to consider setting V sync at something the system is capable of "locking" at even if less than the perceived performance should be.

Aug 28, 2022
Also keep in mind you are on an older i7. The older i7 cpus up until the 7700k are basically about equivalent to a modern i3. Although the newer i3 is probably faster. But you could be experiencing some cpu bottleneck.
i think it may be cpu bottleneck, ill need to replace my thermal paste i saw it was completely dry a week ago while i was installing the new gpu

DSzymborski

Titan
i think it may be cpu bottleneck, ill need to replace my thermal paste i saw it was completely dry a week ago while i was installing the new gpu

Well, that's concerning; what are your temperatures like? That you saw a problem and then didn't do anything about is certainly something that sounds troubling. Once you remove the pressure from the CPU heatsink and see dry thermal paste, if you just reinstall, you're in a far worse position than when you started.

Aug 28, 2022
Well, that's concerning; what are your temperatures like? That you saw a problem and then didn't do anything about is certainly something that sounds troubling. Once you remove the pressure from the CPU heatsink and see dry thermal paste, if you just reinstall, you're in a far worse position than when you started.
just ordered this thermal paste ARCTIC MX-4 (4 g). my temps are usually good if I don't have a lot of applications running. max 80% cpu usage while gaming a graphic heavy game