Discussion Brand new Asus ROG Laptop

AviatexD

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GU502GW Laptop which i bought for $1800 brand new. Tested the laptop on cs go with low settings and am getting 30 fps at most with no fps caps. Also seems that its using the intel graphics instead of nvidia. I’m not too familar with laptops so any help will be much appreciated. It has a i7-9750h @ 2.6ghz and a rtx 2070 @ 8gb, 1tb ssd with 16gb ddr4 ram @ 2666mhz

Last edited:
Most laptops anymore at their default settings are designed to auto switch from dedicated GPU to integrated graphics when on battery power whenever a game is launched to conserve battery power. They should not do this when plugged in.

You can if you wish however force it to use the dedicated GPU by going to the Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings tab in the Nvidia Control Panel (I believe those models are usually equipped with Nvidia), then selecting High Performance Nvidia Processor from the drop down box.

You should also however take it out of Battery Saving mode in the Windows power plan settings (Settings>Battery). Of course making these adjustments means you risk wearing the battery down very fast, so the best way to handle it if you use it mobile a lot is to just wait until you can plug it in to run high resource apps like games.

Reactions: Phaaze88

AviatexD

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
Most laptops anymore at their default settings are designed to auto switch from dedicated GPU to integrated graphics when on battery power whenever a game is launched to conserve battery power. They should not do this when plugged in.

You can if you wish however force it to use the dedicated GPU by going to the Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings tab in the Nvidia Control (which I believe those models are usually equipped with), then selecting High Performance Nvidia Processor from the drop down box.

You should also however take it out of Battery Saving mode in the Windows power plan settings. Of course making these adjustments means you risk wearing the battery down very fast, so the best way to handle it if you use it mobile a lot is to just wait until you can plug it in to run high resource apps like games.
I put it on ultimate performance and I tried that with nvidias settings. I just really want to fix this fps issue and don’t think I should be getting such low fps for such a high end gaming laptop.

You really shouldn't be gaming while not plugged in anyway. That's the way it is with pretty much any laptop, including those built for gaming. I assume yours has the Max Q 2070 GPU from what I've read on that model. If so, it's definitely gaming capable and will easily play most games at 60 FPS or above on max settings. You have to realize though, such graphics power also draws way more power.

Do you use it mobile a lot? If so, like I said, just leave it at default settings and make sure you're plugged in when you play games. The more you mess with settings to force high performance mode and take it off battery saving mode will only mean the battery will likely run down fast. Your main problem as I suspected though was assuming you could play games on the battery with no problems.

And yes, it's normal behavior. You can't expect a laptop with tons of graphics power to run games on the battery without it either throttling down to integrated graphics, or draining the battery real fast. It's just a fact of portable electronics like it or not. I realize laptops lately are vital, with school coming back and remote learning and all, but if you use it for that, you should prioritize THAT while on battery.

Reactions: Phaaze88