4800h
rtx 2060
16gb ram 3200MHz
ssd + hdd + ssd
windows 10 (version 2004)
latest windows updates
latest drivers
latest bios (311)

i ran sfc all drives no errors, chkdsk all drives (ssd, hdd, ssd), windows memory diagnostic, memtestx86, fresh installed windows, even formatted my hard disk and secondary ssd, checked for bad sectors with hdtune, DISM command tool, no errors. nothing helped.

the problem is frequent bsods especially when idle, and sometimes black screen. (hard freeze. must press power button in order to restart it).
i'm not using any antivirus except windows defender.

crashes happens regardless if connected to internet via wifi, cable or not connected at all. i disabled fastboot, loaded optimized defaults in bios, used Whocrashed, all i see is ntoskrnl.exe with Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

i attached the dump and minidumps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QlQ-hYwtEFEru63rI46ZA1srUZRTFC-E/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
Can you run this for me, it will show driver version numbers and I can compare.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I can compare them against the Asus site.

I wonder what date of the app is on WIn store, I can't tell by looking at it.

If its a new laptop I too would suggest contacting...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
my system
asus tuf a15 fa506iv
4800h
rtx 2060
16gb ram
ssd + hdd + ssd
windows 10
latest windows updates
latest drivers
latest bios (311)

i ran sfc all drives no errors, chkdsk all drives (ssd, hdd, ssd), windows memory diagnostic, memtestx86, fresh installed windows, even formatted my hard disk and secondary ssd, checked for bad sectors with hdtune, DISM command tool, no errors. nothing helped.

the problem is frequent bsods especially when idle, and sometimes black screen. (hard freeze. must press power button in order to restart it).
i'm not using any antivirus except windows defender.

crashes happens regardless if connected to internet via wifi, cable or not connected at all. i disabled fastboot, loaded optimized defaults in bios, used Whocrashed, all i see is ntoskrnl.exe with Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

i attached the dump and minidumps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QlQ-hYwtEFEru63rI46ZA1srUZRTFC-E/view?usp=sharing

Ok, so seeing as you have a laptop, I would check and make sure that your heatsinks connected to your cpu and gpu are connected properly. The uneven pressure could cause stress and a crash. Secondly, are you overclocking? If you had an unstable overclock, it would tend to crash often.

Sep 20, 2020
Hi, i opened up the back side of the laptop and checked the heatsinks, everything seems to be normal. i also re-seated the primary ssd, hdd and secondary ssd, wifi card, and ram as well. since i have 8gb+8gb ram i also swapped them between them just in case.

as for overclocking for me is a no-go because it's a laptop and because i am already very happy with the performance and temperatures (around 80C gpu and 90C cpu when gaming) as shown by msi afterburner osd which i use in conjunction with hwinfo in order to see temps frequencies wattage and fps in games.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Driver irq errors sort of hint at cause, and its not heatsinks inside laptops. It is likely software, we just have to work out which driver is to blame.

I can't read dumps but will ask others to convert it for me.

I tried to access the Asus website but it hates me and never loads. I assume it has a program you used to confirm you have latest drivers, as far as it can tell anyway.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/tkmgfb9z/show

Summary of findings:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"Typically this is driver based, as it is when a module tries to access an invalid address when the IRQL is too high.

If a driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

It is recommended that you view the third party modules to see which drivers may be misbehaving."

Colif

Win 11 Master
looks odd having AMD & Nvidia gpu drivers on same PC, I know CPU had Radeon graphics and yet Asus put a Nvidia card in as well. I would have thought Radeon would have been good enough, but instead it must run desktop and Nvidia card for more intensive graphics. Wonder if that will change going forward.

Dumps don't show driver versions so hard to be sure
  • there does appear to be newer AMD GPU drivers on the ASUS site. Yours are dated April, ones on site are August
  • Newer Audio drivers on Asus site now.
  • Newer Ethernet drivers but I assume you use WIFI since the installed WIFI drivers are newer than what Asus have.
  • Could be newer Chipset drivers, newest AMD driver on your PC is from June, last update on Asus site is August

Your Nvidia drivers are newer than what Asus have.

Sep 20, 2020
Hi, i updated the outdated drivers, using MyAsus from Microsoft Store.

it seems to me there is a difference between myasus application drivers versions and the asus website

should i try using asus website for driver updates?

meanwhile the bsods keep happening
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MqdhpGEfOhrcyV6_CfN1p0JwUxN6d623/view?usp=sharing

also, could it be related to the fact that in task manager the drive order is 1st hdd, 2nd OS ssd, and 3rd secondary ssd?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you run this for me, it will show driver version numbers and I can compare.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I can compare them against the Asus site.

I wonder what date of the app is on WIn store, I can't tell by looking at it.

If its a new laptop I too would suggest contacting them as its under warranty, it could be faulty.

Solution
Sep 20, 2020
Hi, i reverted to previous nvidia driver 456.38 and what do you know and it worked perfectly. I forgot I was running the latest nvidia driver all along so I tought why not trying since i had nothing to lose. So then i waited patiently for a new stable driver and tested, i am currently running the most recent 457.09 with success!
I do have to mention I used DDU in safe mode before installing a new driver just to be sure. I don't know if that helps but i'm leaving it here.

Sorry it took that long but i needed to make sure it is stable, the investigation was ongoing. So basically now the problem is solved!
I can't believe the fix was so simple, thank you all for your help especially for the speedy responses!
Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.