[SOLVED] Brand new Auros x570 Master won't post; DRAM light red no matter what I try

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
I just installed my new Auros x570 Master. I have a Ryzen 3900x, a Gigabyte 2080ti Xtreme, and a thermaltake 3 RGB cooler. All of these things have worked before. I set this build up on July 10th, 2019. Everything worked perfectly immediately out of the box. But something happened recently. The PC refused to turn on one day. I isolated the issue to the motherboard, as the PSU, GFX card, memory all worked on another machine. I could not test the CPU on my backup machine/motherboard, but the fact that the lights on the motherboard would not even come on (much less any fans) suggested strongly that the mobo was dead. Also, I am an avid overclocker, and I almost always have CPUZ and Ryzen Master open, monitoring stuff. And the CPU temperatures were always excellent (30-32 C at idle, 68 C at gaming and Cinebench benchmarking stress, and ~78 C at Ryzen stress test).

I RMA'd, and the new motherboard lights up completely normally, and all the fans spin - except the DRAM led on the motherboard is solid red. I have Patriot Viper 4400mhz (on the QVL). I tried both A1/B1 and A2/B2. I also tried single sticks, both in A1 and B1. No matter the attempt, the DRAM led stayed red. Then, I took some Crucial Ballistic 3200mhz (also DDR4) from a backup machine (where it was just working fine), and repeated all above tests. There was no difference. Note, this motherboard also has a CPU led for when the CPU is malfunctioning, but that led is not lit up - which, going back to the first paragraph, also seems to suggest the CPU is fine.

Note, the GFX card did not light up. I assume that is because of the memory issue, as maybe the signals to the GFX card were never sent from the mobo since there was a RAM issue? The GFX card fans turn on, but that happens wether the VGA PSU connectors are connected or not, so I assume that happens the moment the mobo gets power. I also tried seating a different gfx card from my 2080ti. This backup machine has a Gtx 580 (backup machine is supposed to be a micro server for a test/dev environment for my websites). The PNY gtx 580 works perfectly in the other machine, but also never lights up in this machine.

So given the investigation, I can only assume something is... yet again... wrong with the brand new motherboard - or possibly just as likely, something is wrong with my head, and I am making a mistake.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I did google the heck out of the issue, specifically around the red LED labelled DRAM. But I the returned questions have a different problem. They explain that they could sometimes boot, but other times could not. And this won't boot at all on any level.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Solution
So the original motherboard was definitely fried, but there was nothing wrong with the second one... my mistake was missing the ATX 12V connector on the mobo which powers the CPU. I somehow lost that cord. It got disconnected when I took the mobo out, and I merely plugged everything back in when the new mobo came in. Sans that CPU 8 pin ATX 12v. It is not needed in every PC unless it is a high powered CPU or an x570. So I didn't really think of it, since no PC I've ever had before used it, or as I recall, even had an additional 12v ATX to power the CPU seperate from the main mobo ATX.

Any ways, it is working perfectly now. That made me go mad figuring this out. I almost took it to a repair shop, which was admitting defeat.
This...
I just installed my new Auros x570 Master. I have a Ryzen 3900x, a Gigabyte 2080ti Xtreme, and a thermaltake 3 RGB cooler. All of these things have worked before. I set this build up on July 10th, 2019. Everything worked perfectly immediately out of the box. But something happened recently. The PC refused to turn on one day. I isolated the issue to the motherboard, as the PSU, GFX card, memory all worked on another machine. I could not test the CPU on my backup machine/motherboard, but the fact that the lights on the motherboard would not even come on (much less any fans) suggested strongly that the mobo was dead. Also, I am an avid overclocker, and I almost always have CPUZ and Ryzen Master open, monitoring stuff. And the CPU temperatures were always excellent (30-32 C at idle, 68 C at gaming and Cinebench benchmarking stress, and ~78 C at Ryzen stress test).

I RMA'd, and the new motherboard lights up completely normally, and all the fans spin - except the DRAM led on the motherboard is solid red. I have Patriot Viper 4400mhz (on the QVL). I tried both A1/B1 and A2/B2. I also tried single sticks, both in A1 and B1. No matter the attempt, the DRAM led stayed red. Then, I took some Crucial Ballistic 3200mhz (also DDR4) from a backup machine (where it was just working fine), and repeated all above tests. There was no difference. Note, this motherboard also has a CPU led for when the CPU is malfunctioning, but that led is not lit up - which, going back to the first paragraph, also seems to suggest the CPU is fine.

Note, the GFX card did not light up. I assume that is because of the memory issue, as maybe the signals to the GFX card were never sent from the mobo since there was a RAM issue? The GFX card fans turn on, but that happens wether the VGA PSU connectors are connected or not, so I assume that happens the moment the mobo gets power. I also tried seating a different gfx card from my 2080ti. This backup machine has a Gtx 580 (backup machine is supposed to be a micro server for a test/dev environment for my websites). The PNY gtx 580 works perfectly in the other machine, but also never lights up in this machine.

So given the investigation, I can only assume something is... yet again... wrong with the brand new motherboard - or possibly just as likely, something is wrong with my head, and I am making a mistake.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I did google the heck out of the issue, specifically around the red LED labelled DRAM. But I the returned questions have a different problem. They explain that they could sometimes boot, but other times could not. And this won't boot at all on any level.

Thank you for any advice.
Not convinced it is the new motherboard. Could be the memory controller in the CPU.
Did you test the Patriot RAM in your back-up machine ?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Not convinced it is the new motherboard. Could be the memory controller in the CPU.
Did you test the Patriot RAM in your back-up machine ?

I did not. I will do that next. And if it works fine, then I will update the B450 in my backup to the newest bios and move the Ryzen 3900x over there. Not sure why I thought I couldn't test the CPU there yesterday, but I was tired I guess.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
So my Ryzen 3900x is working just fine. I put it into my backup machine, and am typing from that machine.

I also put my Ryzen 2600 into the Auros Master x570. The same behavior occurs. The DRAM led continues to stay lit up.

So it seems that the brand new motherboard is fubar. I've moved literally every piece of my broken machine to the backup machine and they worked fine - and I also moved the working pieces from the backup machine to the broken machine, and the behavior didn't change.

The one weak link in all of this is that my RTX 2080 ti will not fit in my backup machine. That being said, my GTX 580 fits in both, and I tested it in the broken machine. The behavior is still the same.

Do I need to RMA this brand new motherboard?

Last edited:
So my Ryzen 3900x is working just fine. I put it into my backup machine, and am typing from that machine.

I also put my Ryzen 2600 into the Auros Master x570. The same behavior occurs. The DRAM led continues to stay lit up.

So it seems that the brand new motherboard is fubar. I've moved literally every piece of my broken machine to the backup machine and they worked fine - and I also moved the working pieces from the backup machine to the broken machine, and the behavior didn't change.

The one weak link in all of this is that my RTX 2080 ti will not fit in my backup machine. That being said, my GTX 580 fits in both, and I tested it in the broken machine. The behavior is still the same.

Do I need to RMA this bran new motherboard?
This is astonishing. So you had TWO Aurus master x570 that failed almost immediately. And this is the top of their line.
That said, Mindfactory.de, one the largest German on-line retailers makes available their RMA numbers.
And the Aurus master x570 has the worst results (6%) of all x570 boards among Gigabyte, MSI, and Asrock brands (they don't sell Asus).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NFdLEzvQUoTu_sEau2U8R5t80/edit#gid=1679957401

Try to exchange for another model

Reactions: tsibiski

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
So the original motherboard was definitely fried, but there was nothing wrong with the second one... my mistake was missing the ATX 12V connector on the mobo which powers the CPU. I somehow lost that cord. It got disconnected when I took the mobo out, and I merely plugged everything back in when the new mobo came in. Sans that CPU 8 pin ATX 12v. It is not needed in every PC unless it is a high powered CPU or an x570. So I didn't really think of it, since no PC I've ever had before used it, or as I recall, even had an additional 12v ATX to power the CPU seperate from the main mobo ATX.

Any ways, it is working perfectly now. That made me go mad figuring this out. I almost took it to a repair shop, which was admitting defeat.

This CPU 8 pin ATX 12v is needed on all boards. It's the supplementary 4 pin on certain MoBos that is needed only for extreme overclocking

Solution

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
This CPU 8 pin ATX 12v is needed on all boards. It's the supplementary 4 pin on certain MoBos that is needed only for extreme overclocking

Then I must be misnaming the connector in question, as it was not needed on my backup PC. It must be the supplemental 4 pin. It's split into two 4 pin heads.