[SOLVED] Brand new "average" PC and poor performance plus crashes

jeremy.cino

Prominent
Sep 22, 2018
Hey guys I need help to run MW.

I just bought a new PC, Ryzen 3200G, GTX 1660, and 8Gb RAM. Of course I'm not expecting spectacular performances with this setup, but I'm getting terrible performances at the moment. I've tried setting everything on very low, and set the render resolution to 80, and I'm still getting huge FPS drops, as low as 15, and getting kicked out of the game after the game crashes after a freeze. Again, I don't expect crazy performances, but I'm sure that I should get better than that.

Important: Yes, my monitor is wired to my graphics card, and not my integrated GPU on motherboard.

Solution
Well, there's two problems right there with the RAM:
  1. One stick means you're running in single channel mode. That hurts performance. The ideal for 8GB is a 2x4GB matched kit, where the kit comes with the two sticks. Similarly, the ideal for 16GB is a matched 2x8GB pair.
  2. You are using 2400MHz RAM. Ryzen benefits from faster RAM more than Intel does.

Aero_X

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Hey guys I need help to run MW.

I just bought a new PC, Ryzen 3200G, GTX 1660, and 8Gb RAM. Of course I'm not expecting spectacular performances with this setup, but I'm getting terrible performances at the moment. I've tried setting everything on very low, and set the render resolution to 80, and I'm still getting huge FPS drops, as low as 15, and getting kicked out of the game after the game crashes after a freeze. Again, I don't expect crazy performances, but I'm sure that I should get better than that.

Important: Yes, my monitor is wired to my graphics card, and not my integrated GPU on motherboard.

Are you using any monitoring software to indicate the utilization of your hardware and any particular game the crash is most common with?

jeremy.cino

Prominent
Sep 22, 2018
It happens on Modern Warfare. GPU and is near 100%, and CPU too.
I have another machine with 2600X and an RX580, games runs smooth and perfect with full maxed settings, and monitoring shows near 100% for GPU and CPU too, so I doubt that the usage is the real problem here. I don't know...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, there's two problems right there with the RAM:
  1. One stick means you're running in single channel mode. That hurts performance. The ideal for 8GB is a 2x4GB matched kit, where the kit comes with the two sticks. Similarly, the ideal for 16GB is a matched 2x8GB pair.
  2. You are using 2400MHz RAM. Ryzen benefits from faster RAM more than Intel does.

Solution