[SOLVED] Brand new build but disk usage at 100% + BSOD when exiting games

Apr 7, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm new to building PC's so hopefully you'll bear with me.. just built this guy last week.

Running Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x with Wraith Spire thermal solution
MSI MPG x570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x4GB)
Corsair RM Series RM750 CP-9020195-NA
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G

-Looks good on paper but when I first set it up (installed Windows 10 through USB), the computer had an issue with the disk usage spiking to 100%, despite having no background applications open. The other issue I found was that when I would exit video games, I would get the BSOD within 5-10 minutes of exiting the game. Started happening so much that I decided to reinstall windows from CD and set it to factory settings. Things worked pretty well for a few days but now I'm starting to get the BSOD again, along with the 100% disk usage spikes that I was talking about.

-If it helps, these are the only applications that I'm using as of right now. I make sure to properly shut them down too so that they don't leave any background processes going on...
+Chrome
+Discord
+Battle.net Desktop App
+Steam
+Epic Games Launcher
I also have The Isle and the Outer Worlds games installed on here but that's pretty much it.

What should I do? I really want to pull some of my hair out right now, lol. Can't tell if this is a software issue or if it's got something to do with the actual hardware.

Solution
Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (on a functioning PC) to download/create a recent USB loader/installer on a known good USB flash drive...

mainboard have a recent BIOS?

RAM speed on conservative 2133 MHz or so? (Hard to imagine anyone making high speed 3200 MHz in 4 GB sizes. Was your RAM from a kit, or, merely two like sized sticks combined to make an impromptu 'hope it works as a kit' sort of 'non'-matched set? :)
Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (on a functioning PC) to download/create a recent USB loader/installer on a known good USB flash drive...

RAM speed on conservative 2133 MHz or so? (Hard to imagine anyone making high speed 3200 MHz in 4 GB sizes. Was your RAM from a kit, or, merely two like sized sticks combined to make an impromptu 'hope it works as a kit' sort of 'non'-matched set? :)

Solution
Apr 7, 2020

I'm doing that right now, and yes, the BIOS is up to date.

No, at the moment my RAM speed is set to 2400MHz. They also came from a kit. :)

Last edited: