Question Brand New Build - Drive 0 Showing 0 Space

Jan 22, 2020
Hey all - Did a brand new build, and while installing Windows 10 from USB, Drive 0 is showing 0 space. Drive 1 seems fine.

Drive 0 should be my Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Drive 1 should be my Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (think it's fine since it's showing ~3700GB)

Everything I'm searching seems to be for re-installs of Windows on already used drives, nothing fresh out of the box. I'm not able to even click to format it. Not even sure if this is a Windows issue or a drive issue or a Samsung specific issue.

Full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tY87HB (except the GPU and sound card - neither of those are in currently)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
First off, during the install...you need ONE drive connected. Presumably the 860 EVO.

Then:

Jan 22, 2020
First off, during the install...you need ONE drive connected. Presumably the 860 EVO.

Then:

I was able to get it to see the space on the drive by using a different SATA port. However, once selecting the drive and hitting next, I've just got the hour glass. Been over 10 minutes at the time of writing, but from everything else I've searched, it doesn't seem to need this much time for a 250GB SSD.

Am I supposed to format it first at that screen? It's never been used.

USAFRet

Titan
I was able to get it to see the space on the drive by using a different SATA port. However, once selecting the drive and hitting next, I've just got the hour glass. Been over 10 minutes at the time of writing, but from everything else I've searched, it doesn't seem to need this much time for a 250GB SSD.

Am I supposed to format it first at that screen? It's never been used.
The instructions in that link are exactly what is to be done.
If it has paused for 10 minutes, something is wrong.

Jan 22, 2020
The instructions in that link are exactly what is to be done.
If it has paused for 10 minutes, something is wrong.

After it hung, it actually came back with an error code - 0x80070057, but this seems to be for a million things when searching.

I've opened the cmd prompt and cleaned the disk, but received the same issue. Searching for more things to try...

EDIT: Converting it to gpt in the cmd prompt has allowed it to continue. Thanks for replies.

Last edited: