[SOLVED] Brand new build has power cycling after 2 weeks.

Oct 10, 2020
Hello. I recently built myself a new PC for gaming and it was running perfectly for 2 weeks before starting to power down randomly, and or causing power cycling. There was never a BSOD, and once it said shutting down in windows, but usually it just flat out cuts off. I tested all the wall sockets in the room and they are proper voltage. It's a fairly beefy machine and quality parts so I didn't think it would be an issue, but I have it not in use atm till I can figure it out.

specs are
Asus Rog Strix B550-F wifi MOBO
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU
Corsair Vengeance 3600hz 16gbx4=64gb all together
XFX Radeon 580pro GDDR5 8gb GPU
EVGA 750w Platinum fully modular PSU
1TB ADATA SSD
2TB x2 Barracuda HDDs

I built this PC at the start of OCT and it had this issue after 1 week. Original MOBO definitely had soldering issues on the NB power area, and I replaced all parts in it with new ones just to try and rule out each piece. Originally had a 1050w gold PSU and I replaced it with the EVGA 750w plat. And originally I had the Rog Strix B550-A mobo. I replace the CPU with the same, and the DRAM with the 3600 instead of the 2666.

So as of right now the only piece that has been between both builds is the same GPU. I am so very confused on how two builds can have the same issues. Sometimes after it shuts down I can't even get it to go through boot sequence unless I let it sit for 20 minutes or so, and it will just turn on and then off within 2 seconds. Other times it loads all the way into windows and I can even run games and all my temps before it downs again. I monitored it with the AMD monitoring software, along with another one and none of the temps ever got within danger zone, so I down it could be that. The CPU temp never reached above 50c and the GPU usually maxed out around 67c during Destiny 2. I did monitor the GPU in my old build and it doesn't have the issue, but its a 7 year old MSI mobo and I built it in 2013.

Idk if this matters but when I was using OCCT to monitor it in my old build today, it measured using only .92-.97v in high load games. Would that affect a newer build like that? My brother is sending me an NVIDIA GTX 1080 and it should be here tomorrow hopefully and I plan to test it as well.

Solution
"yellow light"

Which light?

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine what the lit light (and color) may indicate.

Any beeps at startup? Long, short, patterns?

Also double check all of the connections by referencing the motherboard's User Guide as well as the applicable installation guides for all components.

Not to necessary prove or determine if there is a physical /connection installation error. The idea being that a possible installation error can be eliminated.

Then cable swaps (which you probably have done) would be next to eliminate bad cables/plugs.

If the problem continues then, by elimination, the motherboard itself is indeed a possible issue.

Ralston18

Titan
On the problem new PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the random power downs,

Power down, unplug, open the case and double check by sight and feel that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

No one wants to force connections on a new build - the initial connections can indeed be tight. Hopefully something has just loosened up and a simple reseating may resolve the current issues.

Oct 10, 2020
My thought process in this is to replace the PSU first with a Seasonic 850w Gold, and if it still has it, then replace the MOBO with an MSI x570. I have an MSI in my old build and my brother has an MSI in his and both PCs have never had an issue over the years of their life. So at this point I truly don't trust the ROG strix ones. Could it be the CPU though? The Ryzen 9 has such good reviews I find it odd that TWO could be defective. But maybe I should just downgrade the the Ryzen 7 and see if that matters.

Oct 10, 2020
On the problem new PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the random power downs,

Power down, unplug, open the case and double check by sight and feel that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

No one wants to force connections on a new build - the initial connections can indeed be tight. Hopefully something has just loosened up and a simple reseating may resolve the current issues.
I will try this, but I find it odd that somehow it not moving for two weeks would cause something to become unseated. Also I have not updated the BIOS to a newer version if it exists, I just used it out of box.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Physical case/system movement is not necessary.

Heating /cooling aka expansion/contraction causes seated connections to creep and move.

Vibrations can do the same.

The connections may then get to some interim state where, depending on circumstances, a full connection may or may not be made.

Key is to eliminate the "loose connection" possibility.

Then proceed accordingly thereafter.

Oct 10, 2020
Physical case/system movement is not necessary.

Heating /cooling aka expansion/contraction causes seated connections to creep and move.

Vibrations can do the same.

The connections may then get to some interim state where, depending on circumstances, a full connection may or may not be made.

Key is to eliminate the "loose connection" possibility.

Then proceed accordingly thereafter.
Roger. I am setting up my table now to lay it flat and go through connections. Will test it tonight and see if it does anything afterwards. any other ideas for after would be much appreciated just in case this doesn't work. I still feel that somehow it's a power issue on the MOBO or the PSU. But I do not know enough as this is only my second build.

Oct 10, 2020
Oct 10, 2020
PSU Power issues:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of spec......
I also tried a different power supply that is in my old rig. It's a very recently new 650w corsair and the pc didn't even get past yellow light upon attempted start up. I made sure that all connections were very secure and correct. Could this be a motherboard issue then?

Ralston18

Titan
"yellow light"

Which light?

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to determine what the lit light (and color) may indicate.

Any beeps at startup? Long, short, patterns?

Also double check all of the connections by referencing the motherboard's User Guide as well as the applicable installation guides for all components.

Not to necessary prove or determine if there is a physical /connection installation error. The idea being that a possible installation error can be eliminated.

Then cable swaps (which you probably have done) would be next to eliminate bad cables/plugs.

If the problem continues then, by elimination, the motherboard itself is indeed a possible issue.

Solution