[SOLVED] Brand new build, inconsistently powering on.

May 6, 2021
System:
Corsair HX750
Mpg Z490 Gaming Plus
Msi Geforce Gtx 1070
i7-10700K
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

Symptoms:
Usually when I press the power button with everything installed fans and leds light up for a second, including the EZ Debug CPU Led light, before turning dark again.

After every 15th or so attempt to start the pc it actually turns on fully with all fans and Leds working including the EZ Debug CPU Led. Then it is in this state no video output can be detected.

When I remove the CPU altogether the PC turns on consistently every time, but EZ Debug CPU Led still lights up.

Could the issue be bent CPU socket pins? Haven't been able to spot any when removing the CPU.

I also tried removing the cmos battery for 5 minutes, didn't seem to change anything.

Last edited:
Solution
Take a look at page 43: E7C75v2.1.pdf (msi.com)

There is a separate light for RAM.
I understand what you are saying, however, since CPUs manage DRAM they are intertwined to the point that bad RAM can cause the motherboard to think the controller on the CPU is at fault rather than the RAM itself. So to preface this when OCing RAM on either AMD or Intel systems if you push it a little too far the debug LEDs a lot of the time get stuck saying it is the CPU that has an issue rather than the RAM. Point being that RAM issues can cause CPU debug codes or messages.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How are you cooling the processor on that build/platform? Might want to breadboard the system while using a screwdriver to short he + and - pins to power up the system. When breadboarding, use the bare minimum parts, one stick of ram, only boot drive and no discrete GPU. How old is the Corsair PSU in the build?

Reactions: punkncat
Take a look at page 43: E7C75v2.1.pdf (msi.com)

There is a separate light for RAM.
I understand what you are saying, however, since CPUs manage DRAM they are intertwined to the point that bad RAM can cause the motherboard to think the controller on the CPU is at fault rather than the RAM itself. So to preface this when OCing RAM on either AMD or Intel systems if you push it a little too far the debug LEDs a lot of the time get stuck saying it is the CPU that has an issue rather than the RAM. Point being that RAM issues can cause CPU debug codes or messages.

Solution