[SOLVED] Brand new build - No video, no keyboard response, but all lights and fans on.

Jul 17, 2021
My daughter asked me to help build her first PC and we have hit a roadblock and nothing we seem to try is working. Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8 core
MSI b550m pro-vdh wifi MOBO
Tforce 32GB (2x16) ddr4-3600 cl
WD 500 GB M.2 SSD
asus GTX 1050 Ti 4GB gpu
evga GQ 650w gold psu
and a hyper 212 RGB BE fan
We power it up and lights and fans activate but nothing on video. We have disassembled and reassembled making sure everything is seated and connected. We flashed the bios to push the compatible version from MSI website, with the system fully intact and tried with a bare MOBO (except for CPU and ssd). We have been diving in the web trying to find answers, but nothing is working. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very welcomed. Thanks.

Solution
Closely read and follow the directions for your flash BIOS button. This should be a prepared USB with the appropriate BIOS version, the motherboard, and specific cable of the PSU hooked up ONLY.

B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (msi.com)

edit- it appears that the motherboard should have come out of the box 3xxx ready.
You are plugging in the monitor to the GPU and not the mobo? (have to ask)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Closely read and follow the directions for your flash BIOS button. This should be a prepared USB with the appropriate BIOS version, the motherboard, and specific cable of the PSU hooked up ONLY.

edit- it appears that the motherboard should have come out of the box 3xxx ready.

Solution
Jul 17, 2021

Yes, we actually had it plugged into the mobo at first and then realized our mistake. Unfortunately we have already assembled the cpu with the heat sink attached and found in our research that it should work even if the cpu is connected. We had to redo the thermal paste 3 times during the build and was hoping not to have to do that again. Lol but the usb was prepared by formatting it, renaming the bios file to msi.rom, and placed into the usb 2.0 slot. The USB indicator blinked slow, the board cpu light came on and the usb went off and never lit up again.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, we actually had it plugged into the mobo at first and then realized our mistake. Unfortunately we have already assembled the cpu with the heat sink attached and found in our research that it should work even if the cpu is connected. We had to redo the thermal paste 3 times during the build and was hoping not to have to do that again. Lol but the usb was prepared by formatting it, renaming the bios file to msi.rom, and placed into the usb 2.0 slot. The USB indicator blinked slow, the board cpu light came on and the usb went off and never lit up again.

Did you extract the downloaded BIOS file to the USB?

you should not have to rename it, so far as I am aware. Download, have properly formatted USB ready, and "unzip" the file you downloaded from manufacturer site directly to that USB.

edit- my understanding is that the flash process take a while to complete

Jul 17, 2021
Did you extract the downloaded BIOS file to the USB?

you should not have to rename it, so far as I am aware. Download, have properly formatted USB ready, and "unzip" the file you downloaded from manufacturer site directly to that USB.

edit- my understanding is that the flash process take a while to complete
Yes everything I've seen said it ranges 5 to 10 minutes and the USB board light should change speed towards the end. But ours stayed off after the cpu board light lit up. All the instructions I read with the bios indicated it had to be renamed but I will try it with the original name and see what happens. I extracted it to my laptop and then copied it to the flash drive.

Jul 17, 2021
Maybe I'm missing something, should the ezdebug lights cycle through all of them as system boots up and everntually go off? Maybe my setup is not even getting to bios as the ez debug light for the cpu stays lit...

Jul 17, 2021
NOTHING is working! I have taken apart everything including reseating the cpu, ssd, gpu, all cables - hdd, fans, psu, ram, and every other cable connected to mobo. Tried flashing the bios with renaming the file and keeping it the same, with all components connected and with nothing but psu and cpu on the mobo. All I get is no display and a lit ez debug cpu light. I can't think of anything else to try. Can anyone throw a lifeline cause my daughter and I are sinking fast. No idea of what to try next.

Jul 17, 2021
Well finally just took it to a shop to get out looked at and they couldn't get it to consistently post either and determined it was a bad mobo. So returning and looking at getting the asus prime b550m-a wifi, asus tuf gaming 550 or just try a different msi550 piece and see if we get a good one.