Question Brand New Build Worked Perfectly, Now it Wont Post?

Oct 12, 2021
Okay first off, thank you to anyone willing to help me out with this problem. I'm at the end of my rope and don't know where to turn. I will do my best to explain every step I took so far and how it happened.

Specs:
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Pro Wifi
Intel i5-10600k
Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600mhz 8 g (2 sticks)
EVGA 3070 FTW3

When it worked: So I built a PC for my friend (this is my 4th PC to build no problems with any of the others) on Saturday night. After everything was built it worked fine, it booted up went to BIOS post and I installed Windows OS. After that I took his PC to my house where I have better internet to download all the things he would need. Got home and turned it on, started downloading all the different programs. It was at this point I ran into the famous MSI MOBO not recognizing the ethernet cord for hardwire. I flashed the bios with the updated software from MSI website to fix the problem. (Side note): if you run into this problem you need to download the LAN driver to fix it not flash the bios. After this I booted up and everything was good, continued to play around temps and operation was smooth. Turned the PC on and of 5 or 6 more times and everything was fine. I unplugged it and set it aside and waited for him to come over Sunday night to get it.

Not working: He comes over and I hook in the power and go to boot it up and the EZ Debug light (4 lights on right side of board) is stuck on "CPU" and it wont post. All the fans spin up, RGB on for everything (fans, mobo, gpu, RAM, and AIO cooler), and the GPU fans spun up. The entire computer turns on perfectly as it should but it just wont move past the CPU light.

Things I have Tried: Short the JBAT1 pins with a screwdriver, remove the battery for the BIOS, Make sure all wires were snug, removed and re put in RAM sticks, took out GPU and tried to boot without it.

Additional Questions:
Will all the lights and fans and GPU turn on if the MOBO or PSU was bad?
No way a CPU will go bad just from sitting overnight after everything working fine right?
Whats my next steps?

TL;DR: Flashed BIOS on perfectly working PC, now it wont POST but everything comes on power-wise with RGB.
Thank you to anyone willing to help a fellow PC enthusiast out, I greatly appreciate it.

Edit Update: I basically tried every method last night. I had the CMOS battery out for 8 hours and tried to reset bios again, I pulled off the cooler and took out CPU inspecting it and reseating it, Unplugged and re-plugged in all the wires, Tried 1 stick of ram at a time swapping them out. No luck with any of it.
I have a new MOBO getting here today so I will try to swap that in to see if it was the problem.
Are there any ways you can fry a CPU by just standard operating? I mean, I feel like the chances its the CPU are slim but still...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay first off, thank you to anyone willing to help me out with this problem. I'm at the end of my rope and don't know where to turn. I will do my best to explain every step I took so far and how it happened.

Specs:
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Pro Wifi
Intel i5-10600k
Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600mhz 8 g (2 sticks)
EVGA 3070 FTW3

When it worked: So I built a PC for my friend (this is my 4th PC to build no problems with any of the others) on Saturday night. After everything was built it worked fine, it booted up went to BIOS post and I installed Windows OS. After that I took his PC to my house where I have better internet to download all the things he would need. Got home and turned it on, started downloading all the different programs. It was at this point I ran into the famous MSI MOBO not recognizing the ethernet cord for hardwire. I flashed the bios with the updated software from MSI website to fix the problem. (Side note): if you run into this problem you need to download the LAN driver to fix it not flash the bios. After this I booted up and everything was good, continued to play around temps and operation was smooth. Turned the PC on and of 5 or 6 more times and everything was fine. I unplugged it and set it aside and waited for him to come over Sunday night to get it.

Not working: He comes over and I hook in the power and go to boot it up and the EZ Debug light (4 lights on right side of board) is stuck on "CPU" and it wont post. All the fans spin up, RGB on for everything (fans, mobo, gpu, RAM, and AIO cooler), and the GPU fans spun up. The entire computer turns on perfectly as it should but it just wont move past the CPU light.

Things I have Tried: Short the JBAT1 pins with a screwdriver, remove the battery for the BIOS, Make sure all wires were snug, removed and re put in RAM sticks, took out GPU and tried to boot without it.

Additional Questions:
Will all the lights and fans and GPU turn on if the MOBO or PSU was bad?
No way a CPU will go bad just from sitting overnight after everything working fine right?
Whats my next steps?

TL;DR: Flashed BIOS on perfectly working PC, now it wont POST but everything comes on power-wise with RGB.
Thank you to anyone willing to help a fellow PC enthusiast out, I greatly appreciate it.

Edit Update: I basically tried every method last night. I had the CMOS battery out for 8 hours and tried to reset bios again, I pulled off the cooler and took out CPU inspecting it and reseating it, Unplugged and re-plugged in all the wires, Tried 1 stick of ram at a time swapping them out. No luck with any of it.
I have a new MOBO getting here today so I will try to swap that in to see if it was the problem.
Are there any ways you can fry a CPU by just standard operating? I mean, I feel like the chances its the CPU are slim but still...
If the new MB doesn't fix it post back and include a link to the power supply and memory.