Brand New Components Not Powering Up

cmccoy

Honorable
Feb 15, 2016
I’m at the end of my wits.

I’m helping a client rebuild his PC. He started with a Lenovo all-in-one that had a i5-7400 inside. For Christmas, he treated himself to a brand new EVGA 1070ti FTW. As you can imagine, this did not fit in the little AIO case, and the power supply was too weak. As a result, he then purchased a new Z370P motherboard, NZXT 550 and Corsair RM 750x per my suggestion. We installed everything and pushed the power button. It flashed with power then immediately died. Distraught, I began the troubleshooting process.

I began by removing the graphics card. Same problem. Then I removed the CPU cooler to see if it was shorting. Nope. Took the motherboard out of the case to test for shorts. No dice. Exchanged the motherboard because it seemed faulty. No help. Tried the processor in the old PC. THAT works.

The motherboard will stay powered up if the CPU power is unplugged, but once it is plugged in the same problem occurs. Please help, I’m going gray trying to figure this out.

cmccoy

Honorable
Feb 15, 2016
I realized that as SOON as I posted this. I am an AMD man myself, so I don’t normally play with Intel stuff. I built one other Intel system on the Z170 platform and that’s why jogged my memory. Thanks for catching my stupidity, I’ll have him exchange the board tomorrow.