Brand New Computer and File Transfer is less than 1 MB/s

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
I just built a custom PC for video editing a few weeks ago and my friend helped me build a lot of it (I would've been lost otherwise). I store all of my data on my 4Tb External Hard Drive (WD Mybook) and back it up to another 4TB External Hard Drive. I make videos every week and have to upload a lot of footage to my computer. I store it all on external drives so I don't slow down the actual PC. Every time I go to transfer data from my 32gb memory stick to my External drive, it takes about 2 hours to transfer 5gb of data. I've tried other USB slots on my computer and not much of a difference all around. The highest I got up to was 3.5 MB/s. When I originally transferred all my files to my external drives it was up in the hundreds. I need help figuring out what caused the file transferring process to dramatically slow down. I even tried file transferring to my SSD to see if it was my External drive and it is also going terribly slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
I am using the USB 3.0 Slots and my utilities are all up to date for the external drives. As for the motherboard, I have the ASUS Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX DDR4. The drivers all seem to be up to date and I don't see any new ones that I'm currently not using either.

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016

If I'm transferring files from a memory stick of any kind to my external drive or SSD it goes extremely slow. However, if I transfer data to or from my external drive to my SSD, then it goes anywhere from 30 MB/s to about 115 MB/s.

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016

High Performance memory cards?

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016

I'm sorry I'm a little bit confused, do I need a better memory stick or is there something wrong with the usb drive or my ram?

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Consumer USB sticks don't last very long if you write to them a lot. First they become very slow (have to rearrange data when writing because some cells no longer accept writes, and do error correcting when reading), then will stop accepting writes (when there are too few good writable cells left).

If your USB stick has worked fine before, first test it in another computer (to rule out incompatibility issues) and if it's still slow, replace it (sooner rather than later).

If you write a lot (or use it for work), I would suggest a professional grade USB stick. This would both make it more long-lasting, and reduce the risk of catastrophic failure just when you have some important recording on it (plus they're usually faster, too). You would still have to replace it regularly, just to be safe(r).

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016

I'm using a relatively new SanDisk Ultra 32gb MicroSD card and when I use it on my mac it transfers at a very efficient rate, but then if I try to use it on my PC, it transfers at less than 1mb per second. I've tried multiple cards and they all have the same issue, which makes me believe it's not the card.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
From the original post's "memory stick" I understood you were working with USB sticks. That would mean connecting to regular USB port, in which case trying different USB ports would make a difference.

Since you're actually using a microSD card, you're using a card reader. Different readers have different rated maximum speeds that they support. Try another reader. (And scratch my earlier suggestions.)

EDIT: In the new adapter, look for "UHS-I" (minimum) or "UHS-II".

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, I thought you were referring to a normal USB flash drive, not a micro sd card or I would have referred you to another site http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/best-microsd-card-best-microsd-cards-2016-3640745/