Brand new computer.. dead after 3 hours of use

Romanski

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
My friend and I just built a new computer using all new parts except the DVD rom drive.

The build went great... installed windows 7 64 bit without a problem. Got my bios updated and windows 7 updates and all that good stuff. Set up great.

We installed Rift and played for a few moments and nothing was wrong. I then took my computer back home, set it up and contiuned to play rift for a couple of hours. All of a sudden the computer just shuts off completly. Tried to reboot. Wont boot, wont beep, fans wont spin, HD wont spin. There is a green light on the MB, and the first 5~ times I tried to reset the Power Supply the fans would get enough power to spin for .1 seconds then back off. Now I cant get them to turn on even for that instant.

All the cables are nice and snug, I reset the Cmos (unplugged it) tried taking out the ram and video card. I will be going back to his house later on today to test a new power supply, but would this sound like anything else is wrong?

PSU CORSAIR|500W CX500 CMPSU-500CX
CASE TT|VL80001W2Z BK RT
MB ASUS| M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G R
VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1556-KR GTX550 TI R
CPU AMD|PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT
MEM 2Gx2|PATRIOT PGV34G1600ELK RT
Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0F12117

Thanks

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Well what does your motherboard manual say about the green light?
Start there and if all fails take the whole thing apart and start again from scratch.

Make sure you save your receipts (for returns).

Romanski

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

1. Standby Power LED
The motherboard comes with a standby power LED. The green LED lights up to indicate that the system is ON, in sleep mode, or in soft-off mode. This is a reminder that you should shut down the system and unplug the power cable before removing or plugging in another component.