Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Computer Specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit
AMD FX-8350 Eight Core 4 Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon R9 290X
Mechanical 7200RPM 2TB HD

Issue: My computer is only 4 months old, had some issues with it but got those resolved and everything had been running fine. However, about a week ago I installed what I thought was Advanced System Care and turns out it wasn't (not my finest moment). I then removed the false program, another different program appeared, removed that, another appeared, and removed something else that wasn't supposed to be there. Next, I installed the correct Advanced System Care, ran scans and removed malicious objects. I then ran Malwarebytes scans and removed more. Then I ran AVG and removed a couple. I continued to run these scans until none of them found anything to remove. I also ran windows MRT, nothing was found or removed.

So, I thought everything was fine until I tried to play Sniper Elite 3. Before, it only took maybe 20 seconds tops to load into the game, and then another 10-20 seconds to load my game and pick up where I left off. Well, now it takes about a minute to load the game and another to load my saved game. When I got into the game, some of the textures were blurred and took a very long time to load in and as I played, there would be periodical pauses/jolt/flicker of lag that lasted a half a second. I tested other games that I previously had zero problems with and found very extended load times with textures not loading in correctly. In the most severe cases it would take a few minutes to load into the game and then another few minutes for the textures to load completely.

I have also had issues of my system running slow outside of games. It seems as if I try to do more than one thing at once, it freezes the program or the entire system freezes up and then I have to wait a couple seconds for it to recover. There are issues with even internet browsers (I've tested internet explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox) and all of which are very slow and do not function very well. In most severe cases it can take about a minute for one browser alone to open. Even opening My Computer is very slow.

My initial thinking is there are still remnants of the virus somewhere in my computer that I am unable to find, or my hard drive is having issues. So I defragged my HD, and then used iObit to defrag and optimize it. My computer runs very slightly quicker now, but it is still having issues doing about everything and is horrific at multitasking. Also, my graphics cards driver is up to date.

What is causing this and how do I fix it? Please help! And thank you!

Kardaxes

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I've figured out the problem, it is so infinitely stupid on behalf of my own user error I'm not even going to explain what it is to save myself some dignity. Thank you for those that read.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Just an FYI, the issue was caused by a bad wall plug, in other words he had 1 too many things plugged into it via a power strip. Once he split everything up to different walls/plugs, the PC got the power it *Really* needed and now its all back to normal.