Question Brand new Corsair CX750F PSU making a static/electric noise? (Video Clip Linked)

May 2, 2022
Hi there everybody,

As described above, I've started hearing a concerning electrical sound coming from the connection point in my brand new power supply. I've looked online for similar posts but haven't found one which has a sound similar to this, so I'm not certain if it's the same issue. I recorded a youtube short here to show the sound: https://youtube.com/shorts/WknljYR16Ts?feature=share
and a demonstration of when the sound starts:
https://youtube.com/shorts/6VvZwptgbpI?feature=share

I'd like to know if this is a normal sound to be hearing in an 80+ bronze PSU or if I should be contacting Corsair and getting it replaced since it is well within warranty? The PSU starts making this sound as soon as windows starts up and this buzzing/static noise continues as long as the PC is on. I've tried unplugging the PSU from the powerboard and putting it directly into the wall socket. Having listened, the sound seems to be coming from either the actual power connection itself or very close to that connection.

The PC has the following specifications:
MSI B365M Mortar Motherboard (Micro ATX)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Intel Core i3 9100 CPU
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CPU Cooler
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Aero ITX OC 6GB
WD20EARX-00PASB0 (2TB HDD)
ST4000DX001-1CE168 (4TB HDD/SSD Hybrid)
4 Case mounted fans (default fans for Deepcool Matrexx 50 ARGB TG E-ATX Mid Tower Case)

If anyone has any way to help that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to provide more meat to the potatoes on the plate. What is the PSU powering in your build? If you're taxing the PSU more than it's capable of delivering than yes you can very well hear coil whine from the unit, that and if you have a bad wiring in your crib.

You might want to keep Corsair and your seller in the same loop regarding this issue...since it can entail bad craftsmanship, if your build should be easily powered by an advertised 750W unit.

May 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to provide more meat to the potatoes on the plate. What is the PSU powering in your build? If you're taxing the PSU more than it's capable of delivering than yes you can very well hear coil whine from the unit, that and if you have a bad wiring in your crib.

You might want to keep Corsair and your seller in the same loop regarding this issue...since it can entail bad craftsmanship, if your build should be easily powered by an advertised 750W unit.

Yes my apologies! So the PC has the following specifications:
MSI B365M Mortar Motherboard (Micro ATX)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Intel Core i3 9100 CPU
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CPU Cooler
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Aero ITX OC 6GB
WD20EARX-00PASB0 (2TB HDD)
ST4000DX001-1CE168 (4TB HDD/SSD Hybrid)
4 Case mounted fans (default fans for Deepcool Matrexx 50 ARGB TG E-ATX Mid Tower Case)

I will also edit this into the original post for ease

After looking at a power supply estimator, the recommendation is 296 watts, which is far lower than the 750W that the new PSU advertises.

For some context, previously I was using the Corsair CX550M which was used for my previous build back in 2014 and so after 8 long years a capacitor blew hence the brand new replacement PSU. Not sure if a capacitor blowing can influence the load that the components bear on a new PSU?

Would my cable management play a part? Would it be worth a try to rearrange the cables so that everything is a bit more neat? I didn't put much effort into organising the cables into a straight space behind the back, I can send pictures if needed.