brand new CPU Overheating with brand new H60 liquid cooler

Misty_13

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
I just got the Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60 for my new ryzen 5 1600k. I also got a new motherboard (GA-AB350M-Gaming 3)and power supply(rosewill glacier 700w 80+ bronze) to go with these as well. After I hooked everything up and turned my computer on, my computer shut off unexpectedly after 5 or so minutes, so I checked my CPU temp. It was 80-90c! So hot! I've reseated the CPU heatsink like 5 times now ( thinking maybe my thermal paste or my placement of the cpu cooler heatsink was crappy). There is plenty of thermal paste, and the lowest I've seen the temp drop after reseating the heatsink so many times was about 65c. I think I should be expecting temps around 30c. I have felt the radiator while the cpu is overheating and it is cold, I thought the cooler should be drawing the heat from cpu and into the radiator. I'm thinking either I suck at putting the the heatsink on, or the cpu cooler isn't working. Any help is greatly appreciated. (As of right now it is 80c)

Misty_13

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
"are we sure the pump is plugged into an appropriate power source or header, and, on/operating? 3 pin header?"

Yes the pump is a 3 pin, but I dont have a 3 pin on my motherboard so I plug it into a 4 pin, I've tried two different 4 pins for it too. I noticed the CPU cooler fan pick up speed as the computer stays on, but I dont think the pump is actually working.

Misty_13

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
"Yeah something isn't right. The H60 is more than enough for a 65w cpu. Are you sure the pump is working?"

I really feel like the pump isn't working, im not sure if there is a sure way to check, and I can't call corsair since their tech support is monday-friday.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Did you buy it online?

Best Buy sells the H60 and H100i in-store. You could run and get a new one, test it out, and then return the first one you bought. At least then you are not without a PC in the meantime.

Misty_13

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
After looking into it more, I disabled the smart fan in my sys fan2 plug so that the pump gets enough voltage, now my CPU temp is around 36c, but now I see my VRM MOS temp rising and got up to around 79C before I shut it down. No idea what to do now...bit at least now it doesn't seem like the pump is bad, right?