Brand New Custom PC runs fine without GPU but when GPU installed there is no display

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018
I just recently build my custom pc (specs below) and every time I try booting the pc with my graphics card installed it turns on but doesn't give me a display. I've tried plugging my monitor directly to the gpu and that doesn't work. Every time I boot the pc all the fans turn on and the vga debug light on the motherboard turns on for about 3-4 seconds before quickly flashing the boot debug light. From there the gpu fans slow down and stop. (I've read that in newer gpu's the fans will only spin when needed) During this process i do not get a display at all whether using the vga port on my motherboard or the hdmi on my gpu. I've left the pc running for a few minutes to see if anything would happen and nothing did except the gpu was warm signifying it still had power even though the fans turned off. Let me mention that I currently do not have a case and the point of putting the pc together without the case is to test to make sure all the parts work. I tried booting the pc without the gpu installed on the motherboard but still connected to the psu and the pc seems to boot fine most of the time. I originally thought it was a faulty gpu and got a replacement but even the replacement isn't working leading me to think that the gpu isn't the problem. Something I have noticed is that while installed on the motherboard the gpu seems to be loose and can move back and forth slightly . Since I haven't mounted my motherboard in a case I'm not sure if this is normal or if my gpu slot is messed up. I've tried installing the gpu drivers but it wont let me since I do not have a graphics card installed. I've also gone into bios and set it to use a gpu if one is installed. I've also tried both gpu slots and neither have worked. Lastly I reset the cmos but even that didn't work. Oh and I've also checked all the wired connections adn they seem to be good. So I've basically run into a brick wall since I've spent many hours researching and trying different methods and still haven't fixed the problem yet.

(UPDATE) While testing today I ran a few tests. Both my mouse and keyboard have rgb and are corsair. I have the corsair utility to change the lighting of the mouse and keyboard. Usually on a normal boot the keyboard and mouse will be default rgb until i reach the lock screen then change to my custom meaning the corsair utility is running in the background. Now today when I tried my with my gpu installed, it gave me default colors for a little then turned to my custom. So obviously the pc is able to boot windows and run my corsair utility application but all without a display. So it seems my pc is running normally I just cant get a dang display...

PCPARTPICKER Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QHHVBb
CPU: Intel i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core
Cooler: Stcok fan that comes with cpu
Motherboard: Msi Z370-A Pro ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB(2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Windforce OC Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
What cables do you use connecting the monitor to the motherboard?

From your reply to Wolfshadw it sounds like a possibility the adapter doesn't work. HDMI is a digital interface and VGA is analogue. I believe you'd need an 'active' adapter which converts the signal from digital to analogue.
Honestly it sounds like power issue but 450wt should be enough. Although. You are using a Bronze ceritifed PSU which is not as efficient. I honestly don't know if NZXT are even good PSU. Never used or heard of the brand before. I normally go for highly popular named brand PSUs like Corsair.

I would take your GPU out and test it on another system. Ensure the GPU it's self isnt bad. Then look at your PSU. If you have a friend, barrow his PSU and try it in your system. Does it work then? etc... Also check PCI slots, try using another PCI slot.

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018

Hey thanks for the quick response! So I've tried putting the gpu in both PCI slots and neither seem to work. I'm also using an EVGA psu not an NZXT lmao I think you might have misread. Also I am almost positive my gpu is fine since I got a brand new replacement and still got same results as the orignial gpu. I'm considering going to a local computer shop and maybe see if I can swap out my psu or get a better one.

Yeah lol sorry. I'm replying from my phone and its moving the screen everywhere haha.

Yeah EVGA is pretty well known brand but that doesn't mean you dont have a detective one. Which would suck. If you dont have a spare to test with, then a PC repair shop might be your best bet.

While brand new items are great. It doesn't stop detective ones from being shipped. Testing in another system is really the only way to know for sure.

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018

Ok thanks, I'll try see if I can try my gpu with my friend's pc. Also while I was just gone I ran a few tests. Both my mouse and keyboard have rgb and are corsair. I have the corsair utility to change the lighting of the mouse and keyboard. Usually on a normal boot the keyboard and mouse will be default rgb until i reach the lock screen then change to my custom meaning the corsair utility is running in the background. Now today when I tried my with my gpu installed, it gave me default colors for a little then turned to my custom. So obviously the pc is able to boot windows and run my corsair utility application but all without a display. So it seems my pc is booting normally I just cant get a dang display...

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018

So the gpu is inserted in the PCI 16x slot on the motherboard and then I connect the 6pin VGA cable to the gpu and on the other side I have the 8pin going into the VGA slot on the psu. Oh and Im using a vga cable and vga to hdmi adapter and plugging the hdmi directly into the gpu.

What cables do you use connecting the monitor to the motherboard?

From your reply to Wolfshadw it sounds like a possibility the adapter doesn't work. HDMI is a digital interface and VGA is analogue. I believe you'd need an 'active' adapter which converts the signal from digital to analogue.

Solution

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018

Ok thank you I will try that

kylehamlet850

Reputable
Jul 24, 2018

Thank you so much! You've saved me from lots of frustration and time I would have spent on replacements! I can't believe I never thought of this before and it seems stupid I didn't think of it the first day. I guess it turns out all my parts were fine in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS