Brand New Dell Inspiron 15 3567 Refuses to Install Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

naquincaleb

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Some background-- this is not for me, it's actually for a client at the shop I work at. He brought in two computers wanting to transfer the contents of one hard drive to another. I cloned the original drive in Macrum Reflect and the new Dell wouldn't even recognize that there was a drive plugged in. Mind you, I have enabled all Legacy boot options (Legacy boot mode, though I tried it with UEFI mode as well, Enable Legacy ROMs checked, etc) selected.

I inserted the drive from the original laptop in the new one and it booted in, however none of the drivers seem to want to work while in the OS. I was able to boot into a Linux flash drive to download the ethernet drivers, but I still could not get the Wi-Fi drivers to install after that. Or, rather, they would install and it would just not work. Completely confounding.

Knowing that wouldn't work for the customer, I called and simply offered to manually migrate his data over, which will be a chore but it will get it out of my hands. However, now, I've tried with multiple methods (2 bootable USBs and one installation disc) to simply install Windows 7 and no dice. It loads the Windows files, goes to the "Starting Windows" screen, which is interrupted halfway through and it simply stops at a black screen with nothing but my mouse cursor.

I'm pulling my hair out here, and the customer is barking down my throat to get it done. Any ideas? Is this computer simply not going to take a Windows 7 install?

Solution
If that laptop was designed for Windows 10 then there may not be a downgrade option. Does Dell offer a Windows 7 downgrade as an option when purchasing that laptop? If not, you may be out of luck for Windows 7.
Jul 7, 2019
Some background-- this is not for me, it's actually for a client at the shop I work at. He brought in two computers wanting to transfer the contents of one hard drive to another. I cloned the original drive in Macrum Reflect and the new Dell wouldn't even recognize that there was a drive plugged in. Mind you, I have enabled all Legacy boot options (Legacy boot mode, though I tried it with UEFI mode as well, Enable Legacy ROMs checked, etc) selected.

I inserted the drive from the original laptop in the new one and it booted in, however none of the drivers seem to want to work while in the OS. I was able to boot into a Linux flash drive to download the ethernet drivers, but I still could not get the Wi-Fi drivers to install after that. Or, rather, they would install and it would just not work. Completely confounding.

Knowing that wouldn't work for the customer, I called and simply offered to manually migrate his data over, which will be a chore but it will get it out of my hands. However, now, I've tried with multiple methods (2 bootable USBs and one installation disc) to simply install Windows 7 and no dice. It loads the Windows files, goes to the "Starting Windows" screen, which is interrupted halfway through and it simply stops at a black screen with nothing but my mouse cursor.

I'm pulling my hair out here, and the customer is barking down my throat to get it done. Any ideas? Is this computer simply not going to take a Windows 7 install?

Good news! you may now down grade to windows 7 with your dell inspiron 15.
Prior to installing Windows 7 Professional, visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads website to download critical driver packages that will let you get online and return to the Dell website to install the rest of your hardware drivers. The following Windows 7 drivers are considered critical and must be downloaded:

• Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 14.5.x.x or higher
  • Wireless or Local Area Network (LAN) driver
  • NVMe Storage device driver
  • USB 3.0 driver
Now you may not be able to install the OS via normal means e.g. CD rom or USB boot because of UEFI protection from the bios. You may revert to an older BIOS without UEFI protection or clean the hard drive through command prompt during installation of the OS.
I did the later and I was able to install windows 7.
3 years ago I had problems with the drivers since Dell did not release windows 7 drivers for the laptop and now as I check https://www.dell.com/support/drivers they have released the drivers I need to able to run windows 7.

If you still need help on how I did it, Feel free to message me and I will walk you through. :) Good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.