Brand new desktop no signal - samsung tv as 'monitor' no other monitor

rustigsmed

Distinguished
Hi,

I completed my first desktop build last night (yay!).

I have a 42" Samsung plasma I was planning on using as my monitor (for the next 12 months anyway). I do not have another computer monitor.

I attempted to connect via HDMI last night but could not get a single.

I tried the motherboard HDMI out, the GPU HDMI out.

Selecting HDMI1 and HDMI2 channels, PC channel. no signal on any of them.

The cable works as I took it off my PS3.

I've read many people with new builds and who haven't set up the computer bios o.s have had to grab a regular monitor.

I was thinking of maybe borrowing my VGA monitor cords from work and plugging that into the tv/mobo and selecting pc on the tv (assuming my tv has vga in).

The only other idea is trying to see if I can change the PC 'channel' so that it uses the HDMI1 slot.

Does any one have any other suggestions to get it up and running? I

Build is as follows

i5 4690k
asus maximus vii hero
evga gtx 970
Samsung 850 pro 250gb SSD
Seagate barracuda 3tb
Kingston fury 16GB 1866
corsair cx 600watt bronze 80+

cheers

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
First off, congrats on your first build (Now you're addicted)

It should still detect the TV even if not set up through BIOS. I have seen a similar issue using a 50" Insignia TV, we bypassed this by setting the TV to the channel with PC turned off, turning on the PC, and then turning the TV off then on again.

To get into BIOS you may have to spam the proper key (usually delete or F12) without seeing what's going on.

If that doesnt work I recommend making sure that the PCIe power connectors are fully inserted into the slots on the Video Card (had that happen to a friend when he did his first build)

rustigsmed

Distinguished

thanks - that is a good checklist. I got worried reading about standoffs as I didn't install any, but I quickly checked apparently my case has them preinstalled - corsair 200r.

I should have mentioned the computer boots up.

rustigsmed

Distinguished

- thanks for the congrats - I have to admit I was really into pc's about 18 years ago, knew so much about them back then; created my own doom levels etc - but that went out the window, to say I had a lot of reading to catch up is an understatement. going into the store and accidentally asking for 16 MEGABYTEs as opposed to gigabytes was a little embarrassing - haha.

Thanks that is a good suggestion I will try that.

i also forgot to mention I have a noctua nh d14 cooler. the gpu is quite tight up against it. I was thinking of modifying the fan's clip - to - heat sink as it protrudes. this may be affecting the connection...

rustigsmed

Distinguished
For the sake of completion:

I managed to get it up and running last night.

I attached a vga cord to the tv from the GPU and hdmi. I turned the tv onto the PC channel.

I was getting FE and A2 errors on the asus maximus vii hero mobo.

I took out and put back in the GPU and the RAM and unplugged the USB3 cable to the mobo. and it worked alright, once in the bios I changed boot priority to the optical drive.

I installed windows 8.1 and updated the NVidia drivers. I could then switch the display over to HD (and change the channel to HDMI1).

getting the GPU in place was very fiddly and not easy and the RAM I think may have needed to be pressed down harder than I originally did - as it was my first build I was playing the installation game pretty safe/softly. hard to know if all these things fixed the issue or whether it was one of them.

now will have to decide what resolution to have during windows as the text etc is too small from my couch.

thanks for your input manicmike and ronintexas you both definitely helped me out here.