Question Brand new desktop with random issues, what are my options?

Nov 24, 2022
Hello

I built a computer recently but I'm getting a few issues, and I need some help in trying to find what might be wrong. I can't just send the computer back because I've used multiple stores, so I would like to find out which component might be messed up to send it back.

Problems:
  • USB headset isn't recognized (Windows shows an error message: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." - can be fixed if I remove all the things plugged to the USBs)
    • It works on my other computers
    • Sound starts crackling after a bit of usage (gets worse progressively until I can only hear the crackling)
    • When it gets bad, all connected headsets sound just as bad
  • Ethernet stopped working once (not sure if this happened when I was installing some drivers)
  • Mouse stopped working (happened randomly)
  • Keyboard stopped working (happened randomly)
  • Failed a few POSTs after building the computer (disconnecting the usb devices solved this)
I don't have any other component so I can't just swap them and test different combinations. I'm thinking that the motherboard might be messed up. Do you have some suggestions on what I can do to test it? Or what component might be broken?

Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS WIFI II
Memory: G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3200 Mhz C16
Power Supply: Cooler Master V750 Gold V2

Feels horrible to have a messed up on your first build.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022
Please edit language.

Did you install all the base lever drivers available for your motherboard on the manufacturer's website?

If you have power stability, check and update BIOS to newest relevant version.
I'm sorry for the cursing.
I've installed the drivers, and tried to update the bios, yeah.
Did you check the location of all the motherboard stand-offs? Make sure rear IO plate is properly installed.
I'm currently disassembling the pc to see if anything is out of place and I found out that one of the ground pins on the io shield is touching the actual usb C port, and that seems to be the usb port that is giving me issues. Here are some pics of it:
IMG_20221127_174538.jpg

IMG_20221127_174812.jpg

You think this could cause some power/shorting issues on the io?

Avs
I'm sorry for the cursing.
I've installed the drivers, and tried to update the bios, yeah.

I'm currently disassembling the pc to see if anything is out of place and I found out that one of the ground pins on the io shield is touching the actual usb C port, and that seems to be the usb port that is giving me issues. Here are some pics of it:
IMG_20221127_174538.jpg

IMG_20221127_174812.jpg

You think this could cause some power/shorting issues on the io?
Unlikely, but you never know. Go ahead and remedy it.